Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts and material takeoffs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mariomelendez
1465 Views, 4 Replies

Parts and material takeoffs

Received a model the other day I need to do a material takeoff on, 26 story building. Except that it's got that awful mistake: they didn't model as they were going to build. So the walls and columns are single elements from basement to roof, slabs are a single unit per floor, stuff like that.

And I can't get quantities per floor, thanks to that. 

Being a 26 story building, it would probably take me way too long to redo the walls and columns into individual elements per floor. So the next best thing would be to use parts. Most of the walls are joined with the floors, so they conveniently separate when parts are created. 

But after I create the parts, I have a new and more awful problem. My multi-category material takeoff shows double-or-something volumes... whatever got turned into parts has the part volume + original volume, what didn't get turned to parts has just the original volume.

I could do a parts schedule, but I'd be leaving out whatever didn't get turned into parts.

I could also switch my 3D view to originals, select everything and put "ORIGINAL" in the comments, and then filter only those in the multi-category takeoff. But I'd be back to square one: no volumes per floor.

And then after that I could compare total volumes between parts and multi-category schedule to see if they match. And if they don't, go crazy trying to find out what got left out. 

Anyone got a solution for this one? How do you go about scheduling parts, when you're not sure everything actually got turned into parts? Is there any way to select and hide all elements with associated parts, so that only the ones that don't have parts are left visible?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: mariomelendez

Convert everything to Parts and use Part schedule for calculations.
Message 3 of 5
mariomelendez
in reply to: ToanDN

Only problem is, I get a warning that there's stuff that didn't convert to parts.... and I have no idea what elements didn't get converted to parts.

Message 4 of 5
MKFreiert

can you filter everything that did convert (probably via schedule or an add in like Quick Select), cut those out, identify remaining elements, and then paste them back in?  (or spin off a model and do the same?)  

Message 5 of 5
ToanDN

Maybe do some leg work.  Go to a 3D view and override the Part category to something popping out so that you can identify non-Parts elements.  Select them and add some comments in order to filter in the schedule.

Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators