Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Lengths

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1327 Views, 8 Replies

Part Lengths

I was wondering if there is any way to get the length of a part that isn't part of a wall. If I create a wall sweep as part of the revit wall type and then break that into parts there is a length parameter available for each part. If I do a wall sweep under the wall button on the ribbon and I break that sweep into parts there is no length parameter available for those parts just volumne. Since I can't attach parameters in the create part sketch mode I don't know how to get the part lengths of these part. Does anybody have a solution to this problem.

Thanks

Wayne

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous

You can schedule Wall Sweeps which are placed using the designated tool (Wall Sweeps) without breaking them into parts and separately from the wall (since they are not part of the wall when placed independantly)...Only if scheduling them as part of a wall (ie: embeded in the wall type) they fall under parts schedule

FOr sweeps placed using Wall Sweep tool:

1. View>>Create>Schedule&Quatities
  2. In the "New Schedule" dialog scroll down and expand category Walls >> Select wall sweeps
  3. Wall sweeps category has length parameter already set in by default...
  4. You can add Width/Thick and Height parameters if you have them defined in the Sweep's profile which you used

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

Thanks for your answer. - Here is the problem that method gives total length of the sweep per wall. I didn't give you all the information about what I am trying to do. I am trying to break these sweeps into parts with different lengths and be able to schedule the lengths and counts for each length these pieces represent percast masory units. I would like to schedule sweeps, coping, Lintels, and Sills as parts with there lengths. Hope this helps. Thanks for your time.

Wayne

Message 4 of 9
GlynnisVP

Have you tried Including the Length as a Sort method, as shown? If you include "Count" and then also exclude the option to list all instances AND sort by Length perhaps it meets your needs?

Sort order for sweeps

Best Regards,

Glynnis Patterson

www.ideatesoftware.com

Message 5 of 9
RDAOU

@Anonymous

Appologies; I still do not see the problem...Do you mean breaking them into parts as in an 8m long wall would receive 2 x pieces of skirting (1= 3m and 2=5m)? or breaking to parts using Parts tool?!

If you have 1 sweep along the wall it will be 1 length ie: 1 scheduled item

If you place 2 sweeps (instead of 1 continuous) you will have 2 sweeps items in the schedule

If you place 1 sweep along wall and cut it with an insert...it is still considered 1 sweep and you will need to split it into 2 if you need 2 items.

The Wall Sweep tool functions differently than wall parts...and using the Parts tool on a Wall Sweep doesn't function the same as when you apply it on a Wall (in the sense of spliting the embeded  wall type sweeps into ex: 3 spans which schedule under 3 separate items)

Hence; when you use Wall >> Wall Sweep then you need to split the sweep into more than 1 span

Skirt.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

Again thanks for your help. I am new to Revit and just trying to figure it out. To answer your question yes I am using the parts tool. When I do that Revit will report the volume of each part but the the length. This is confusing because if the volume is correct it must know its length. If I use the split tool it splits the wall and sweep. The length reported back is the wall lenght. If you pick the sweep it still reports back the oriignal sweep length. I don't want to spit the wall just the sweep. I have the same proble with windows that have nexted pices for Lintels and sills. If I create parts from the windows family using the create parts tool I can't it its length but the volume still reports. I would like to be able to schedules all the Items. Coping, Banding, Window sills and Window and Door Lintels using a Schedule based on parts if this is possible. Hope this all makes sense.

Wayne

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I would like to query something related to this .

If i divide a floor or ceiling into parts and wanted to schedule the length and width of individual part parameters. How to do that?
Message 8 of 9
GlynnisVP

The original thread should probably be re-labeled as it did not relate to Parts but Sweeps.  

To answer your question, Parts will not have length or width values for reporting purposes (unlike a Sweep, which is a linear element). This is largely because a part can be any shape, including an irregular shape.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Glynnis Patterson

www.ideatesoftware.com

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN

You need to to compose your floor or ceiling from several pieces so that you can schedule the L x W for them. Group or assemble them together to keep them intact.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report