Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking on Topography

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
3962 Views, 19 Replies

Parking on Topography

Hello.

I'm using Revit Light 2018 for PC, and I've got a topography site that I have created from a .dwg file, and i've split the surface to identify the roads. 

How can I 'paint' the parking bay components onto this existing surface (which isn't level)? Or do I have to create a building pad or floor to receive the bays? I don't want to do this as it won't reflect the site conditions, but that is all I can see from my scanning forums and knowledge files. Apologies if I have overlooked something previously posted. 

For reference, I have downloaded the parking bay components into the file, I've placed them on the topography and they either hide below the ground plane, or seem to float above it casting shadows - I've checked if I have offset them, and I'm re-hosting them to the required surface, but nothing appears to work.

Many thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Use sub-regions for different areas and you can give them different materials.  For roads, between splitting the topo and sub-regions, I would choose to use sub-regions as well.

In case you want to turn the topo parking lot to actual structure:

https://landarchbim.com/2015/10/21/make-hardscape-follow-topo/

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 20
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

How can I 'paint' the parking bay components onto this existing surface (which isn't level)?

What do you mean by "paint" the parking bay components?  What components?  Are they modeled components?  How are they hosted? If they host to a Level, then you need to either lower the Toposurface to the Level that you are placing the component on, or place a Level at the proper elevation and put the components on that Level.  For instance, say the the components are to be placed at the Toposurface's 100 ft. contour --  you would lower the Toposurface 100 ft in a an Elevation View, or you would raise a Level 100 ft., or place a new Level at 100 ft.  

Message 4 of 20
barthbradley

...I think I may have misunderstood you. I believe you are talking about Site components. These are the components that will host to Toposurfaces.   If they are indeed Site components and you cannot see them, I suspect they are not hosted properly.  You can use the Pick New Host tool on the contextual tab to host them to the Surface.  If they are not Site Components, then what I said before is accurate.   

Message 5 of 20
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

For reference, I have downloaded the parking bay components into the file, I've placed them on the topography and they either hide below the ground plane, or seem to float above it casting shadows - I've checked if I have offset them, and I'm re-hosting them to the required surface, but nothing appears to work.

They only works with flat surface (level based families) and/or one direction sloped surfaces (face or work plane based families).  For complex surfaces from a topo, you may need to create them using Railing tool because Railing can follow the topo slopes.

Create a railing type with only Top rail component. Create a thin profile and assign it to the Top rail type and give it the striping material.  Duplicate the Top rail type if you need different striping sizes and/or colors.

Toan Nguyen
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Many thanks - I did try this, but they remain floating. I presume this is because the topo-surface is not level and therefore the car parking site component can't relate to that (apologies if my technical language isn't quite correct...)

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Many thanks.

I have used sub-regions for the road itself, but I need the car parking spaces delineated as part of the same surface (or sitting on top of). The link looks very useful and will be bookmarked.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Marvellous, many thanks.

This is just what I need - particularly when I realise that the pick new host button is very useful. Now I just need to figure out how to remove my teeny balustrade posts from the railings. 🙂 

Message 9 of 20
ToanDN

Edit railing type and set all balusters and posts to None. You only need a top rail.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Thank you again. 

Sometimes it takes me a little bit of searching, but I get there in the end. 

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

This is good for parking spaces, but what am i doing when i want to place other components like bushes, bench, table, car, garbage can, etc.

Message 12 of 20
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

This is good for parking spaces, but what am i doing when i want to place other components like bushes, bench, table, car, garbage can, etc.

Yes; your right!  

P.S. What are we talking about?  I just got pinged on this year-old thread. Is this the one about the baby on a bus? 

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

no, its for how to place components on topography and it should followe the
topography slope when the topography is not leveld
Message 14 of 20
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:
no, its for how to place components on topography and it should followe the
topography slope when the topography is not leveld

Okay then…🤔...so what are you asking about?

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

How to place components on topography and it should follow the
topography slope when the topography is not leveled
Message 16 of 20
ToanDN

You want a tilted bench so seaters keep sliding to one side? Or a tilted trashcan that keeps falling off?

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

i want it should be laying on the floor, i don't want it should be one side
on the floor and on the other side it should be like flying or being
inside the floor
Message 18 of 20
ToanDN

How would you do in real life? You either create a flat surface like a pad to place them, or make the legs longers and burry ine side deeper than the other. Do the same in Revit.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

right but some times you just want to put your chair out side on the hill
and sit like this, or you want bushes on the hill and you want it shoud
follow the slope
Message 20 of 20
ToanDN

Set those family to always vertical and place them away. They will be upright on the hill or not.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators