Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paint - on host layer

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
sakar_deepak
705 Views, 10 Replies

paint - on host layer

Dear friends 

Hi

I created a compund wall, created 'parts' and divided the finish layer in two, upper and lower part. Then I excluded the upper part, now it shows the substrate layer. I am trying to 'paint' it but Revit does not highlite the surface when i use the 'paint' command. Why ?

Regards

Regards

Deepak Gupta
Architect

(...... those, who are answering the problems in community forum here, are great people .....)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
L.Maas
in reply to: sakar_deepak

Why is a question for Autodesk. It is just not available. However there are other solutions. When you divide your parts you can assign a different material to each divided part. Deselect "Material By Original" and assign different material. See hereunder the hexagon which received a different material

Wall.png

Other option would be to add, for example, a face based family to creat an effect you desire.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 11
sakar_deepak
in reply to: L.Maas

Doing same as you said but not happening.

Does it have got any thing to do with 'hide', 'phase created by origin' and 'phase demo by origin' ?

Regards

Deepak Gupta
Architect

(...... those, who are answering the problems in community forum here, are great people .....)
Message 4 of 11
sakar_deepak

It doesn't highlight the substrate.

Regards

Deepak Gupta
Architect

Message 5 of 11

Hey @sakar_deepak

@sakar_deepak wrote:

It doesn't highlight the substrate.

From your statement; I think you are still trying to paint...It wont get painted; what Louis suggested by unchecking the box "Material by Original" was to change material of each part or subdivided part individually rather than painting. Click the [...] it will take you to Material Browser

PS: Paint is bad

Message 6 of 11
L.Maas

Hope this screencast helps

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 7 of 11

Isn't easier just create another wall type or stacked walls?

Rodrigo Bezerra

EESignature

Message 8 of 11

Okay, I got what you all said.

There are interior brick walls which have wood panelling on both sides, But the design and height of panelling is differnt on each wall. Suppos if there is 3' hg panelling and paint above on one wall, it is just a 9" wide woode band on another. So I have to show the wall paint with wooden paneling. 

But, the way you all explained, it is too tedious to repeat on each wall. 

What is the other way, how you guys do it ?

Pic appended.

Regards

Deepak Gupta
Architect

Message 9 of 11
RDAOU

Hey @sakar_deepak

I dont use parts in such case

If its same height of the wall...

I would edit a wall type to include just paneling and place/join it to the brick wall

If its similar to those splash strip runners...

I would model the profil/section and use Wall: Sweep tool (Ribbon>Architectural Tab>Wall>Wall:Sweep)

PS: ...You can add sweeps and reveals in the Wall Type Structure when you edit type. But I prefer the above for later scheduling

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 10 of 11
sakar_deepak
in reply to: RDAOU

Hi @RDAOU 

Okay,

That is an alternative.

But what is the advantage of it over parts ? It is no less tedious as far as i understand. This way too it has to be done for each wall.

Regards

Deepak Gupta
Architect

Message 11 of 11
RDAOU

@sakar_deepak

It depends on how you define alternative...From my perspective I see as the first choice and parts as alternative. As the latter is not really that convinient. Besides its a more of methodology one adopt in design and modeling.

Another example would be floors I use the same concept...two slabs 1 structural (only concrete and 1 architectural only finishes and insulation) I see this gives more flexibility and its more realistic while maybe you and other might prefare split face and paint or part

Don't take it personal but blowing all the walls up into parts to place sweep like elements is the tidious work!

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators