Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening cutting two walls

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mirceaatbowtie
1755 Views, 3 Replies

Opening cutting two walls

Hello everyone,

Happy Friday. 

We have a project in which we need to keep existing outer perimeter walls of a refurbished barn and add internal walls for structural support. So what we have is a sandwich of 2 walls one next to each other in different phases (Existing and New Construction).

What I need is a tidy method of doing cuts within both walls with the same door/window family. I think I have 3 options here:

1. Go into each family of the door/family and modify it so that the void is increased. Cut within the project the wall that is not cut. We will use families directly from the manufacturer so I am trying to avoid to modify the families too much.  

2. Cut only one wall and then use a wall opening which is constrained to the opening to cut the other wall. Not sure how to adjust the position of the frame within the opening - see below

3. Create a 3rd wall made of air which will be on top of the two walls. Place the family in the 'air' wall and then cut the other two walls similarly to option 1 or 2 above. 

The added difficulty is that I would probably need to change the offset from the outer face of wall to the frame of the windows which seems easier only in option 3. 

Any other ideas on how to make this work easier ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RDAOU
in reply to: mirceaatbowtie

@mirceaatbowtie 

Join the 2 walls ... then the opening of doors and windows will cut both (See animated gif below)...what you need to edit would be

1. any 2D lines or Detail components nested into the door family

2. Frame width (usually it is constrained to host) you will need to make it variable that you can adjust to suit depth through 2xwalls

Joined Walls.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 4
mirceaatbowtie
in reply to: RDAOU

Well that was easier than expected..

Thank you very much. 

Message 4 of 4
lukeLSWSZ
in reply to: RDAOU

Thanks so much for this.  It seems to work with two 'basic' walls, but not with a 'basic' wall and a custom wall component, correct?  Is there a trick to making that work?  Doors/ windows will cut the custom component wall (modeled in place) no problem, and they will of course cut the basic wall, but it is one or the other, not the two together—even when joined.  Would love a trick to make it work if there is one, like a setting with the wall component.  (If not, we'll do one of the roundabout options).

Many Thanks,

Luke

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators