Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notched Curtain Wall Panel

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
threeonefourdesign
1171 Views, 6 Replies

Notched Curtain Wall Panel

Hello - I am creating a curtain wall for metal panel siding. It's 4x8 panels with mounting screws in the corners and a 1/4" gap between the panels. Not sure if this is the best way to approach it, so open to ideas. Since it's cladding, I can't embed it into the structure's walls.

The issue I'm having is notched panels around windows and doors. It's forcing me to use complete grids around corners. If I try to edit the profile, it errors out. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance

James

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Can you post a picture?  

Message 3 of 7

Ha, I tried originally but it seemed to stall out. Didn't realize it even posted my question. Here's a pic....hopefully

Message 4 of 7

@threeonefourdesign ; is this the best you got?  A full-frontal shot?  I can't determine much from this. Looks pretty easy though. I am more curious in knowing about these screws and 1/4" gaps you mentioned in your first post. You got any photographs of the construct? Or, the manufacturer's link?  

Message 5 of 7

Sorry. Was trying to show the grids only. They're flat steel sheets mounted on a 1x4 rainscreen so they can be gapped. There's a few mfrs but Corten is the big one. Fastener style TBD. Could be standard pan head. Could be hex head. Could be standoff posts to add more depth. Coravent at top and bottom of walls and windows. Couple of pics attached.

Thanks for your time

Message 6 of 7

Personally, I wouldn't model this cladding as a Curtain Wall. I'd model it as the Exterior Layer in a compound-layered Basic Wall Type or as a stand-alone Basic Wall placed it in front of another. Then, I'd either use Wall Sweeps or Model Surface Pattern to create the "gaps". Keep in mind, that with Thin Lines turned OFF, a 1/4" gap will not be discernable in the typically-scaled View, so modeling the gap may not be best. As for the “notched” opening around windows and doors; I would likely have that automatically created by the Window/Door inserts by Sweeping the Opening in the Families with a Void to cut the Host Wall.  

Message 7 of 7

Yeah, I'm finding using a curtain wall is more hassle than it's worth. This was my first exploration into them. Seemed like a great solution to creating those horizontal and vert reveals with repeating fasteners. Plus the ability to mod the grids is really nice. But I'm finding they're pretty finicky when used in this application.

I think I'll use a separate wall type and add the reveals afterwards to control locations. Bummer to lose the fasteners though. I understand the visual representation of the gaps make it obsolete on plan elevations, but they do have an impact on renderings.

As far as building into the wall assembly, I have a hard time controlling which layer the inserts are attached to. I guess without creating a separate offset parameter in their families. Bigger issue is not showing the potentially 3" of siding material in the plan views.

Thanks, Barth.  Stay healthy and sane

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report