Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nominal Resistance (Flat R-Value) in lieu of k-value (Thermal Conductivity)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
josh.hafel
226 Views, 3 Replies

Nominal Resistance (Flat R-Value) in lieu of k-value (Thermal Conductivity)

Hello,

I am new to engergy modeling in Revit and when I was trying to set up materials, but the Thermal Properties, while they go very in-depth with setting like Electical Resistivity, they also feel limited in their flexibility. I want to create a material for my stud cavities (e.g. a fiberglass batt) however it seems like I have to use Thermal Conductivity to calculate the R-Value by thickness. This is great for my Rigid isulations like Rockwool which is 4.2 per inch, but fiberglass batt is R-19 period (in my zone) doesn't matter if its in a 5.5" stud or a 3.5" stud the R-value is always R-19.

Is there a way to change the thermal properties so that it calculates the Nominal Resistance instead of Thermal Conductivity or am I going to have to duplicate materials for each stud cavity thickness? Ideally I would have one material for metal stud and one for wood stud (simply to account for the thermal bridging), but I feel like duplicating those 3-4 times each for each stud thickness seems like overkill.

Also, if anyone has any good resources to help me learn evelope energy modeling in Revit, that would be much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
barthbradley
in reply to: josh.hafel

Message 3 of 4
josh.hafel
in reply to: barthbradley

My bad, I reposted on the Insight Forum. I figured it was Revit Materials so it went here
Message 4 of 4
barthbradley
in reply to: josh.hafel

@josh.hafel wrote:
My bad, I reposted on the Insight Forum. I figured it was Revit Materials so it went here

No worries.

Look into Conceptual Types.

Help | Material Thermal Properties - Conceptual Types | Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report