Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no valid elements in Paper space....

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
14389 Views, 11 Replies

no valid elements in Paper space....

hello,
when opening a workshare project file in revit 2008 i get an error dialogue box which states...."Import detected no valid elements in file's Paper space. Do you want to import from the Model space ?" . of course, i select "yes" to import from model space & things seem to work fine.
Should i be concerned about this project's file ? Granted, all of the views on the sheets are from plan, elevation, drafting, etc views & i only have text in the sheets' Paper space. This error dialogue box is a relatively new occurance, but did not immediately occur once we went to the workshare format.
thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hmunsell
in reply to: Anonymous

I’m somewhat disappointed that no one has replied to you…. I am having a similar problem. I have just been telling my people to click YES, but I want to know if there is a way turn it off…. most of the time you are importing from MS anyway.

HJM

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
hmunsell

The problem appeared to be in the architectural DWG's that were being linked into the Arch. Revit model that my Elec. Revit model was linking in. The linked DWG's had an extra layout that was empty (nothing in the extra layout). I tried deleting the extra layout and also tried just making a Mview window in the "empty" layout and both seemed to work. After closing and reopening the Revit model, I didn’t get the error anymore (simply reloading the links didn’t seem to do it).

HJM

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: hmunsell

Not to revive an old forum, but I figured I'd post the answer anyway. When linking and importing cad files Revit imports paperspace elements to paperspace and model space elements to model space. For example, when linking a CAD file directly on a sheet, Revit will automatically import elements from the CAD file's paper space. When importing a CAD file into a drafting view or a model view, Revit automatically imports elements from the CAD file's model space. When it notices that you are trying to import items any other way than that, it gives you the error message (No valid elements in Paper Space... OR No valid elements in Model Space...) every time and allows you to continue importing against Revit's 'better judgement.' It can get quite annoying when it keeps giving you such error messages, so if you want to go against Revit's better judgement and avoid error messages, either copy your CAD content from model space to paper space (or visa versa), OR import the file into a Revit equivelent Paper space or Model space (i.e. Sheets vs. Drafting Views/Model Views). Hope that helps anyone who stumbles upon this.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I am having a similar problem.  As of a few days ago I had no problem importing CAD files into Revit, but today I keep getting the message "Import detected no valid elements in the files Model space.  Do you want to import from the paper space?"  When I click yes, nothing imports!  I have even tried importing files I have recently imported with success.  I am not an Autocad user, therefore wouldn't know how to fix the problem if it is on the file end and not the process end.  HELP!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Finally figured out. If you are using a Autocad or any program that is newer than the revit you are using, you will have to save the file as an older version . I always prefer ACAD 2000. As you can import these to Illustrator aswell. This will fix the problem of importing and finding your file on the model space. etc etc.. 

Message 7 of 12
RobDraw

Nice try.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 12
m-de-lange

I just started getting this problem too....

no solution works from this forum.

All i want to do is have a circumference of a building in a new Generic Annotation family.

I've tried:

Copying the lines from project to family > ofcourse not possible

Copying from sheet > not possible

Exporting the circumference  lines as DWG, then import the DWG into the family, gives the error message.

It just won't show up in the family.

any other tips besides what i've already tried?

Message 9 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: m-de-lange

@m-de-lange wrote:

Exporting the circumference  lines as DWG, then import the DWG into the family, gives the error message.

It just won't show up in the family.

any other tips besides what i've already tried?

If you read the entire message from Revit, does it ask you if you want to import from model space?

Also, please see message #4 above.

Rob

Message 10 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: m-de-lange

Your issue is not exactly the same as the original's. Create your own topic.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

AUTOCAD VERSION NOT MATTER I HAVE ALSO 2000 VERSION BUT STILL GETTING SAME ERROR 

Message 12 of 12
RobDraw

Message #4 should have enough information for you to eliminate the message from Revit.

If not, start your own thread and include all details about your linked. dwgs and how you are linking them. 

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators