Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbee trying to place a loft on top of small building

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
807 Views, 6 Replies

Newbee trying to place a loft on top of small building

I'm stuck! (and probably a bit stupid)... Whatever I try Icant get the walls stick to gether. Probably I'm missing something very basic but still this is what it looks like (see attatchment) My plan is to place a very small loft ontop of the building, only about 1.1 meter high in the highest end, and about 0.7 meters in the lower end. The loft is supposed to have a floor that only covers half of the lower floor. 

What am I doing wrong? Why won't the level 2 sit on top of level 1? I've tried to move the walls, but they will only move horizontaly. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Go to an elevation view and change level 2's height.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

As I said, I'm a newbee, but thanks to you I got to the point where I can choose how high floor one is. It was set to 4 meters, a bit taller than the building... So big thanks for the help 😃

And for reference to any other newbee out there, ill include the pic with the elevation and all...

Next question... Should I include the level 2 floor construction in level 1 or 2?

Message 4 of 7
chrisplyler

1. Every wall in Revit is assigned to a Level. If you draw walls in a Level 1 Floor Plan view, they become assigned to Level 1 by default. If you draw them in a Level 2 Floor Plan view, they are assigned to Level 2 by default.

2. If you draw walls in a 3D view, Revit doesn't, by default, know what Level you want them to be associated with, so when you activate the Wall tool while in a 3D view, the Quick Options Bar shows you a selection field in which you can choose (so this before you start drawing them) the Level placement for them.

3. Walls in Revit have some parameters related to their heights. Base Constraint and Base Offset control the bottom of the wall. Top Constraint and Top Offset control the top of the wall. These controls operate RELATIVE to the Level the wall is associated with. Select a wall and play around with the values of those parameters and you will quickly see how they function.

Now you should be able to define the Levels and their elevations as you see fit, as well as control which Level a wall is on and how it sits in relationship to that Level.

Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

Well explained by @chrisplyler!

@Anonymous  Draw the loft floor and other elements on Level 2.  The exterior walls can be done in two ways:

1. Draw them on Level 2 and join them to the walls below.  You can CTRL+C to copy the walls from Level 1 and go to Level 2 and Paste aligned to view.

2. Make the walls on Level 1 taller, or attach them to the roof above the loft so that they span the entire height.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I made the walls reach from ta base of level 1 up to the roof. That way I could place windows anywhere on the walls, even between floors.

One problem remains though, I need floor plans for the loft too. How do I tell Revit to make floor plans for an elevation of 2,4 meters?
Message 7 of 7
ToanDN

Go to Views menu, Plan views, and you can create a new floor plan for Level 2.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators