Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Families losing parameters in project

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
logan.k-AHS
336 Views, 6 Replies

Nested Families losing parameters in project

Hi,

Currently having problems with nested families losing there material parameters in the project environment.
I've built a range of door panels, that have type based material parameters. They have been nested into the parent family, and the parameters tied to the parent. The child family has also then been given a parameter so the panels are changeable in the project space. 
However when used in the project space, when the panels are changed certain panels don't keep there type based materials.
Have tried unassigning and reassigning the parameters. Purging the family from the file, restarting revit and reloading the family, as that's fixed the problem in a couple situations, but not all.
Not sure why this is suddenly happening, or best way to stop it from happening.

Image 2 is after the door has be purged. Revit restarted and door reloaded in, the materials reapplied to the door in the project space
Family attached for reference. Built in revit 2022.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

maybe if you check "shared" inside the families

Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. I had, had that thought, and have started testing some shared nested door panels. (Even though I'm personally not a fan of nested shared families).

My other thought was to use integer parameters to cycle through the panels and hardware, so everything is technically in place all the time and just being visually turned off and on. Little more complicated though for users to add in new panels & hardware though. 

Message 4 of 7
admaecc211151
in reply to: logan.k-AHS

I guess, maybe some parameter become incorrect (like length is less than 0 for something).

when a (nested) element have incorrect parameter, it will delete temporary delete or stop regenerate the element until fixed.

Message 5 of 7
mhiserZFHXS
in reply to: logan.k-AHS

If the material parameter is type based in the nested family, you have to associate it to the parent family's parameter in every type of the door panel.

Message 6 of 7

Hi @logan.k-AHS,

You have family labels for the (unshared) nested families and linked host type parameters to nested type parameters.

This is possible, but you need to make sure all possible nested families for a family label have the identical shared parameters for the ones linked to the host parameters.

So "MPL_DoorLeaf1_Family" family label, nested families all need the same shared parameter Infill_Panel and Panel and they have to be shared parameters not family parameters, same for any other parameters linked to the host.

Sometimes this CAN work without shared parameters if the nested family is created from a previous created family which already had the parameters, but adding a family parameter later on would then again break parameter linking.

I don't know it this makes sense to you, but when using Family labels for nested families I always make the families shared and linked nested parameters instance (and shared parameters of course).

Other option would be to not use Family labels if the number of different panels per position are manageable (2-3 types), and place them on top of each other with visibility parameters. With this you can link type and instance parameters without issue and don't need to be shared parameters.

-

Message 7 of 7

Thanks, this is very close to what I have now done just without the nested families being shared.
I've changed the materials parameters to being instance based, ensuring all panels have the same material parameters, so can be linked to the host family, with out parameters loosing there link. e.g the solid panel still having an "Infill_Panel" parameter.
From my initial testing this looks to be much more stable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators