Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my component is gray in my project in new drawing has the material

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3035 Views, 10 Replies

my component is gray in my project in new drawing has the material

Hey I copy to clipboard a component from a old project and paste in my recent one I work on. In 3D the component is all grayed out. I paste it in a new project and it comes out with the material ect tile pattern and colour.. Why is this happening most other components I add are in colour and have material
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

Bit guessing wihout anything to look at. Could be that material of the family is assigned "By Category". In that case when in the old project you have no object style created in the project the family will show the "Default" material which is normally grey. When you copy that object to the new project and that project has an object style set with a certain material than your object will use that material.

You can do two things, change the object style in the new project. Alterantively edit the family and assign a material to it.

Could help if you can upload your family so we can have a look what might be the cause

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

how do i upload

Message 4 of 11
L.Maas

Use the attachments function in the post page

Upload.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

here you go.

my problem is that every time i put that bathtub in my currently working project it just stays a gray colour, in the project i copy to clipboard from it has material colour/finish in 3d.

I tried to paste the same bathtub in justa  new project and it works fine

Message 6 of 11
L.Maas

Visbility is little bit complicated in the beginning because there are many things that influence how object looks like

Starting in the family editor

Material 1.png

If you check the objects you see that the batthub walls have a material assigned "Hob" This is the grey 200x200 mm tiles.

Also note that it is an instance parameter so in the project you can change the material of every instance of the bathtub

The tub itself is "By Category". This means it is determined by the object styles

Material 2.png

You can see that the bathtub walls and the tub both have an object style assigned. The tub has a material "Porcelain - White".

The walls around the tub have a material "Finishes - Interior - Wall Ceramic Tile 200 × 200" (white tiles). However the bathtub walls already had a parameter that assigned the material "Hob" The direct assignment overrules the object styles so the "Hob" material will be used. If in the parameters you would change it from "Hob" and set it to "By Category" than the object style would be used "Finishes - Interior - Wall Ceramic Tile 200 × 200".

Now loading the family in the project

Material 3.png

You see the instance parameters for the material in the project browser. So with multiple batthubs they could all be made of different materials.

Material 4.png

Checking the object style in the project. As this was a clean project the object styles are the same as in the family.

To change the materials for your bathtub, you could change the materials in the properties window.

You also could set them both (in the properties window) to "By Category". Than they would take the material assigned in the "Object Styles"

So in your project something like this has happened. Or the materials have changed in the properties window. Or they are set to "By Category" and there are no materials  in the objects styles (or some grey materials).

Please note that the visbility settings (objects styles) and materials in the project overrules the ones in the family. So when you modify the materials in the family editor and reload it into the project the changes will probably not be visble. If the name of the object style or material in the project is the same as in the family the project settings overrule the family ones.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

where do i find the objects styles

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

howo do i change the hob to by category i cant find it any where

Message 9 of 11
L.Maas

Object styles are on the manage tab.

Object.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
L.Maas

You can just type it "<By Category>" in or select it by clicking on the 3dots

Objects1.png

which opens the material browser, where you will find the "By Category" button.

ByCat.png

Please note these last two questions are quite basic Revit tasks. If you are not yet familiar with Revit and want to get serioous with it. I would advice get some basic training. There are good books (By Paul F Aubin or the Mastering Series), video courses (lynda.com, Infiniteskills.com) or life courses (have a look in your area). A good basic understanding of Revit will get you much faster up to speed. When you get the concepts down it becomes much more logical and easier to work with it.

Louis

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
chrisplyler

I'm guessing a material was modified in the source file to give the tub color. I'm guessing that same material exists in the new file, but it is just gray because the material hasn't been modified.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators