Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model-in-Place component convert to Family component

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
regalith
72165 Views, 43 Replies

Model-in-Place component convert to Family component

Is it possible to convert a Model-in-Place component to a regular Family component?

Example: I created a model-in-place of a retail fixture but would like it to be a standard component that I can load into other projects.

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
ccollins
in reply to: regalith

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2011/07/save-in-place-family-as-rfa-for-use-in.html

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 44
regalith
in reply to: ccollins

Great, thanks.

Message 4 of 44
regalith

I tried this and Revit started saving out all families in the file.  Anyone else have this issue?

Message 5 of 44
dmsdnet

Yep you did what I did just then, you need to make sure you have selected the group when you go to save as.Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 44
Radish_G
in reply to: ccollins

Hi,

The link not working, any other link?

Regards
Radish G
Message 7 of 44
Sahay_R
in reply to: Radish_G

Steps - 

1) convert the in-place family to a Group. Give it a name.

2) R>>SaveAs>>Library>>Group

3) Select the named group that you have created. It will save out to a RFA

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 8 of 44
Radish_G
in reply to: Sahay_R

Hi Rina Sahay,

I followed your steps, but unable to save as a family file. I attached a document shows the step by step action that I did to save as the in-place family. Kindly have a glance.In-Place Family.jpg

Regards
Radish G
Message 9 of 44
arjay.eco
in reply to: Radish_G

Hello @Radish_G @regalith,

Here's the steps converting model-in-place family to a family component

1. create a model in-place. when done click finish model.

2. click the model in-place

3. Edit In-place

4. select all the extrusion

5. create as a Model Group

6. Please ensure you are inside of model In-place (you are currently editing In-place)

7. Click R>SaveAS>Library>Group

8. Done

Image 2.png

Note: Some of the mistake happen in number 6.

Message 10 of 44
Radish_G
in reply to: arjay.eco

Hi @arjay.eco@Sahay_R,

I got it. Thanks a lot for your help & kind support.

Regards
Radish G
Message 11 of 44
taituxd

Thank guy. I made it. hihihaha 🙂

Message 12 of 44
Blackswiirls

i cant seem to extrude the model i have imported from autodesk inventor to make a family. i believe its like you say but i dont know how to save an in-space model component into one family. i just dont seem to understand...

Message 13 of 44
Sahay_R
in reply to: Blackswiirls

You seem to be talking about two different things here - 

1) Importing content from Inventor - That is best done while you are in the Family environment and then load the resulting family to your project. Please remember that this will give you 'dumb' geometry that cannot be altered, controlled, extruded, whatever in Revit. You will need to take it back to Inventor to make those alterations. 

2) Saving in-place modeled components as separate families - If you have modeled something in the Project, and that is a component that will be repeated numerous times, it would be best for the health of the model to convert it into a family. To do this -

select the modeled in place component and click Edit In Place.

Select the geometry and convert it into a Group.  

R>>Save As>>Library>>Groups

You will be able to save the group as a RFA.

FWIW - bringing in content created outside Revit may not be the best course of action, as Revit works best with natively created geometry. It would be advisable to learn how to create families in Revit for the general health of the model.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 14 of 44
barthbradley
in reply to: Blackswiirls

@Blackswiirls wrote:

i cant seem to extrude the model i have imported from autodesk inventor to make a family. i believe its like you say but i dont know how to save an in-space model component into one family. i just dont seem to understand...

What do you mean "EXTRUDE THE MODEL"?  

Message 15 of 44
aarn

I can not convert to family, not sure how I can be in model-in place when it is already grouped. I have all my extrusions showing in 3D, I select all of them, create a group, select the group, go to save as, save as library, select group, and only get Revit Project as a option no Family Option. Any advise? Why cant Autodesk make this a simple process?

Message 16 of 44
ToanDN
in reply to: aarn

@aarn wrote:

I can not convert to family, not sure how I can be in model-in place when it is already grouped. I have all my extrusions showing in 3D, I select all of them, create a group, select the group, go to save as, save as library, select group, and only get Revit Project as a option no Family Option. Any advise? Why cant Autodesk make this a simple process?

Ungroup it.  Edit the model in-place and group what inside it.  Then Save As...

Message 17 of 44
Sahay_R
in reply to: aarn

@aarn - Here are the steps - 

Create the in place geometry

Make it into a Group

Click Edit Group 

File>>SaveAs>>Library>>Groups

You will receive the option to save as an RFA

Once you have saved the RFA - PLEASE open the family and place the geometry correctly at the intersection of the reference planes - that is because normally the export will take the geometry out in the exact same position that it sit in the model.

Final step - insert the RFA, delete the original in place geometry. You have taken one giant step for the health of your model.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 18 of 44
aarn

Thank You for your response and help that did the trick.

Message 19 of 44
aalexander
in reply to: Sahay_R

I tried to process you have outlined but did not receive a message to save as .rfa, it saves it as a .rvt file.

Message 20 of 44
Sahay_R
in reply to: aalexander

@aalexander - here is the  missing step - when you have created the geometry, select it, Edit In Place, and then make the group. After that follow the steps as outlined.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report