Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model file and Document file

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
PrathapSekar
607 Views, 4 Replies

Model file and Document file

Hi,

For a discussion i'm posting this. In our working project we have a model file, on that we had been done annotations (i.e construction shop drawing with all dimensions, tags, details etc.,), now our client want them as two separate file like model file separately and Shop drawing file separately, so we started and doing that by linking the model file into new Revit project file.

Here my doubts,

1. What is the need of two separate files,
  2. What are all the advantage and disadvantages of that,
  3. Will the annotations wont go if they missed to re-link the necessary model links to the shop drawing file.

Thanks in advance.

Thank You! and please 'Accept As Solution' when you found a solution, to help others.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: PrathapSekar

You can create "Shop Drawings" with the same Project.  Why do you think this requires breaking the RVT up into two separate Projects, just to turn around and Link one into the other?  

Message 3 of 5
RobDraw

Pose your questions to the client. Their reasons are the only ones that matter if they insist that after the work is done you move away from a workflow that you are comfortable with to one that only adds unnecessary extra steps and time.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

1-There is no need for two different files.

2-I can't think of any advantages.  The disadvantages are additional complication and work and time

3-Yes, you will have difficulties with that workstream.

You can create different views with templates for the different types of drawings - it's much easier to control in one project.

Message 5 of 5

1. In my experience its fairly common to do what your Client is asking for.

Basically the model file is like a coordination file where I do my modelling and share it with my consultants who are also working of separate files (Structure is Copy-Monitored in the initial planning phases and HVAC is just a underlay link).

But like the others point it out, its not necessary. We do this, only  for fairly large projects, so the file is not too heavy to have all the building components. For example, we divide the whole site into three or four parts which each building as one model. But then model the basement which is connected as one single model. Also, there is one person who is looking at just the Kitchen and Bath shop drawings so he builds a separate model(basically the interiors) and links it in the main building model, this way we minimize the overall size of the file. This requires a lot of discipline and coordination. We often keep transferring standards and families so that all models have the same graphic representations.

Again the only reason to do this is if its a huge project.

2. Like I mentioned before, it makes sense in my opinion only for large projects. (just my opinion, others might argue about this, but this works best for me!)

3. Yes. there have been times when a whole group is deleted by mistake in the model file and the dimensions relating to these elements don't find any references and are orphaned. Sometimes this goes unnoticed for a long time, by then its too late to undo and the annotations need to be placed again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators