Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Min & Max constraints

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
1957 Views, 21 Replies

Min & Max constraints

Is there a way to set constraint dimension to be in between certain values? For example the min. dimension to be 50 and max 500?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

• create a second parameter and use If formula twice as can be seen in my screenshot:

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 22
alan_eu

Nice, @constantin.stroescu ! I love formulas 🙂

Alan Araújo EESignature
Bee1ColabInstagram Alan Araújo RevitBee1ColabGrupo Whatsapp

Usuários do Autodesk Community:
  • Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar como Solução! isso ajuda os outros usuários a encontrar rapidamente uma resposta e Curta se gostou 🙂
  • Manda um alô nas minhas redes sociais com +600 vídeos de de Revit/BIM, Templates e conteúdos semanais! Gratuitos! 🙂
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Thank you very much, I love formulas - I will give this a try!

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

Message 6 of 22
alan_eu

Do you have the "width" parameter in your family? 

Alan Araújo EESignature

• Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar como Solução! isso ajuda os outros usuários a encontrar rapidamente uma resposta e Curta se gostou 🙂
  • Manda um alô nas minhas redes sociais com +600 vídeos de de Revit/BIM, Templates e conteúdos semanais! Gratuitos! 🙂
Message 7 of 22
alan_eu

If you don't, you will have to create a parameter with this exactly name, including uppercase and by type  (not by instance, in that @constantin.stroescu e.g.)

Alan Araújo EESignature

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

The formula does not give me an error, however it is not doing its job. What is missing? Why is it not restricting the minimal and maximal dimensions?

mradosovska_0-1609071728235.png

Message 9 of 22
alan_eu

Load into your project and try it. Seems to be ok.

Send us the family, please.

Alan Araújo EESignature

Message 10 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: alan_eu

Am I understanding this correctly? - I have to use the names of parameters in the parent family which are exactly the same as in child family? I think I must have misunderstood....

Also what is the reason I am going BY TYPE and not BY INSTANCE? - Could you please explain?

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

I have tested it in a project and the formula is not restricting anything. I have used BY TYPE for both the width and its constraint.

mradosovska_0-1609073127630.png

Message 12 of 22
alan_eu

I found the erro in this image... You used the parameter width on your model. You would use the calculated value widht constraint.

You can use Type or Instance, you choose.

Alan Araújo EESignature

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

I am lost now. How do you make calculated value width constraint without having width as a parameter? Can you show me an example please?

Message 14 of 22
alan_eu

You have to use your calculated value as the parameter. The Width is still necessary to change the Width Constraint value

JIFlCAu

Alan Araújo EESignature

Message 15 of 22
constantin.stroescu

Image 1.png

as you can see the real Length Parameters here are : W, D and H

Width , in my case, is an Input Parameter for W...

See , how it works when chainging Input Values ...

Formula in Parameter | Search | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

Please advise where I have gone wrong...

I have done as you have suggested:

mradosovska_1-1609087631503.png

and when I loaded the family into project, I could not stretch the object by grip arrows:

mradosovska_0-1609087549902.png

EDIT: I realized I had it within a group (array). When I have ungrouped it and reloaded to the project (incl. parameters) and tested it, the formula was not working...

Message 17 of 22
constantin.stroescu

I made a short screencast showing how a Family with Type Parameters and one with Instance Parameters work..

Family TypeParameters vs Family Instance Parameters | Search | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 18 of 22
ToanDN

You cannot use a parameter in its own formula. You need an input parameter and an output parameter. Input is to type in value. Output is for the formula and constraining geometry if it is the intent.
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous

Thank you very much for the link to the video! Very much appreciated

Is there any video that you could recommend me that I can study? - what I am trying to figure out is how to make a family that can do this:

mradosovska_0-1609144325714.png

The family needs to be stretchable left and right by arrows (the length dimensions will have odd site dimensions). The array of the panels which are in the middle needs to have a constraint (not to go below certain panel width) and also max constraint - once it reaches certain panel width it should make additional panel to fill up the length.

I have made the panels itself stretchable as desired, however I got stuck on everything else:

- array that will fill up certain length

- max & min constraints which will dictate array quantities

- overall width to be stretchable by arrows and not by dimensions listed on the properties panel

- making joint lines invisible

Message 20 of 22
martijn_pater

@alan_eu wrote:

You used the parameter width on your model. You would use the calculated value widht constraint.

That one, select the dimension and associate the calculated parameter instead of the width parameter. Follow formula by @constantin.stroescu for the calculated parameter in the first post and it will work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators