Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup Table to change nested family

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mark.j.eaken
1292 Views, 7 Replies

Lookup Table to change nested family

i am working on creating a new piping end cap. while doing so i was going to have a coupling i made flex with it. is there a way to use a lookup table to change the label on the nested family?  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Just associate the parameters under type properties in family browser I think... edit: ow to change a label you wrote, probably some formula for a type parameter within the nested family based on a number ie... not exactly sure

Message 3 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: mark.j.eaken

So, the way I understand it, is that you have a Nested Family with a Parameter that you to use as a Tag Label.  If so, make the Nested Family Shared, and the Parameter that is be a Tag Label Shared and an Instance Type Parameter.  Then load this Nested Family into the Host Family and Associate this Instance Parameter to a Host Parameter using the same Shared Parameter.  Additionally, the Tag Label must use the same Shared Parameter.   Now you can attach a Tag to the Nested Family in the Project by TAB-Selecting on it.  

...and, YES, you can include this Host Shared Parameter in the Lookup Table.  

Message 4 of 8

@barthbradley wrote:

...and, YES, you can include this Host Shared Parameter in the Lookup Table.  

Drive a type parameter from the Lookup Table? Didn't think you could... which is why I was thinking to use a number parameter to drive the type parameter in the nested family. But that idea and how you've described it is pretty much the same I suppose, something along those lines...

Message 5 of 8

What I said was "Instance Type Parameter", meaning the type, sort or kind of Parameter.   I guess I shouldn't have capitalized the "T".  Sorry.  My bad.  

Message 6 of 8
mark.j.eaken

so i fixed the problem by changing the way my nested family was driven. changed it from Type Name driven parameters to creating a Lookup Table for it.  Works great now, thank you all for the help and ideas, now onto the next problem i created 😃

Message 7 of 8
barthbradley

Huh? Come again. That reads like a word salad to me. What did you do?  

Message 8 of 8
mark.j.eaken
in reply to: barthbradley

i changed how the nested family flexed.

i originally was trying to control type name thru a lookup table but from my understanding you cannot.

creating a lookup table for the nested family let me control it better within the parent family by just linking the Nominal Diameter.

Snag_10c7986c.pngSnag_10c7a25f.pngSnag_10d1de3f.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report