Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking solid objects to reference planes?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
8161 Views, 4 Replies

Locking solid objects to reference planes?

I'm working on a sink family for my company. I've gotten the model to the point where I can input different values in the parameters to change the model accordingly. The base of my sink however, doesn't follow when I change the depth. The bottom of the extrusion does, but the top stays in place. I've tried toggling the lock that's associated with the top of the extrusion, and it doesn't make any difference. I'm very new to Revit, so I'm probably missing something simple. But if someone could take a quick look at the model I attached, and offer any help, it would be hugely appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to constrain the two bottom reference planes together with a locked dimension and locked the top and bottom of the extrusion to those reference planes so the thickness of the extrusion is fixed.  The sweep sketch path should have been host by a reference plane (or the Level plane in your family).  The sweep profile arcs should be constrained to the two bottom reference planes.

The idea is create a skeleton for the family using ref planes/lines and assign parametric properties to them, make sure they flex properly before you start modeling anything.  That will make it much easier to build and modify.

See attached file.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

That's perfect, I've got it working now. Cheers!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I am having a similar problem.  I am creating a newel post that is a square post with a ball on top using the generic model template.  I have the height of the post as an instance parameter, but the ball does not move with the top of the post.  How do I lock the position of the solid revolve's relationship to the top of the extrusion?

Message 5 of 5
solvdesigns
in reply to: Anonymous

Replying to an old post, but perhaps it will be helpful to someone since it took me a while to figure something similar out...

Locking revolves (especially ones with a profile that is circular) to reference planes can be a bit non-intuitive.  One big help is to turn on the center mark visibility of the 2D circle when in sketch mode.  The following link explains in more detail.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/C...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators