Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock Wall family length

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
brianwclayton1969
388 Views, 7 Replies

Lock Wall family length

Good afternoon Revit users,

I'm creating a Revit template for a client and I want to make it a simple as possible. 

I'm creating a wall length of 3 meters and locking the distance, these are standard wall lengths the client will be using over and over. How can I lock the wall and make sure when I bring in that wall the length stays the same without it changing when it's drawn?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You can't with a Basic Wall type, but maybe a workaround would be to send the client a Curtain Wall Type that uses your Wall Type for the Panels.  The Vertical Layout would be Fixed and the Spacing would be 9'-0". No Horizontal Grids. No Mullions.  

SIP CW.png

Message 3 of 8

I'm assuming the panel can be cut; right? You're just saying the length of the panel can't be longer the 9'-0" -- like a standard 4'-0" x 8'-0" Gypsum Wall Boards or Plywood.   What about height? Is that standardized too?   

...you know, what about just including Wall Schedules in the RTE that do all those calculations based on total of lengths of walls in Project?  

Wall Sched Panels.png

Message 4 of 8

Wall length needs to lock at 3 meters or 5 meters or 4 foot but wall height can be free to be adjustable.

Thanks 

Message 5 of 8

Like I said, you won't be able to get there with a Basic Wall Type.  I can think of several workarounds, but I wouldn't use them personally. It would be a PITA.  I mean, I don't lay out walls based on the number of studs.   Know what I mean?  

Message 6 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: brianwclayton1969

If you are a modular wall vendor promoting a product to architects/engineers/designers then all you need to do is provide them with a cutsheet of your product indicating the 3-meter length limitation.  How they model the walls is their business, not yours.  Restricting how people doing things is considered over-reaching and can backfire on you.  It's like we architects shows on our drawings and specs what we need and let the contractors to work the means and methods out by themselves.

Message 7 of 8

I would create vertical model pattern of 3m so when user draw the wall, they will see the 3m vertical span.

syman2000_0-1700522173508.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 8 of 8

Barth,

That idea will probably be the best solution and each panel will stay at 3m or 5m or 4ft and what is left over is remaining size.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report