Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Projects with different Project Norths

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
csheridan
3084 Views, 5 Replies

Link Projects with different Project Norths

I have two Revit models (an existing building and a new extension) that I want to link together.  The models have different project north's because the buildings are at different angles and I want them to each be orthogonal on the sheets.  Since they both have different project north's in order to get them rotated to true north they have different “Angles to True North”.  The problem is when I link them in together with project base point they do not align to each other with true north.  I’ve also tried making the angle to true north the same and that did not work either.  We have consultants who we will be sharing the model with so I need to find a way to get these both to align correctly.  Any advice?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: csheridan

This is pretty much to the reason we have Shared Coordinates -- to share coordinate systems between projects.  

...you say: "The problem is when I link them in together with project base point they do not align to each other with true north." 

Perhaps, this is where the confusion is. There is only one Project Base Point in a Project.  Linked Projects inserted via Shared Coordinates do not reference the Host Project's Project Base Point -- they reference the Host Project's Survey Point.  When you set up "True North" in the PBP, your are actually effecting the SP's orientation in the Project, not the PBP.  

....check this out: 

http://paulaubin.com/_downloads/2011_AU/Papers/AB3733_Aubin_SharedCoord.pdf

Message 3 of 6
ToanDN

It is very common scenario.  Let;s say if the New project is the working file, you can ignore the project North/True North information from the Existing to avoid any confusion.  Steps:

- Setup Project North/True North properly for the working project (assuming the New one)

- Link the Existing Project in (origin to origin, PBP to PBP, Center to center, doesn't really matter)

- Move and align the link with your model

- Establish the shared coordinates and publish to the link, save the link when asked

Message 4 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

I'm going to add one other point for clarification: There is only ONE "True North" in a Project.  You can Acquire the True North from the Link, or Publish the Host's True North to the Link.  

Message 5 of 6
Corsten.Au

Hi

Consider this

Main Model ( get the true north correct here ) 

1. Unit / Building A - two copies  / 2 instances in the main model with different orientations. ( get project north correct here )

2. Unit / Building B - one instance in the main model ( get project north correct here )

3. Unit / Building C - one instance in the main model ( get project north correct here )

in this scenario Building A have two instances in the main file, and you cannot get True north correct in 

Building A cause there are two possibilities.. 

so just focus on True north in the Main model... and rest links don't need a correct true north at all..just project north

to get the floor plan etc right.

Best luck

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 6 of 6
gandersonFJBN3
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN 

Thanks for your reply. I relayed this to a few Staff last night and wanted to get a second opinion this morning. The only difference is that I'm a stickler for PBP to PBP, since it gives the User the exact point to "place" center of rotation.

I am also concerned about created "shared coordinates" very early in our design process. We don't have civil data as of yet and I will be acquiring coordinates from the proposed civil file and was thinking of publishing coordinates only after this occurs. Probably doesn't matter, but I want to make the process as straight forward as possible.

Best,

Gregory  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report