Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labor Parameter

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1103 Views, 11 Replies

Labor Parameter

Working on Quantity Take-offs what a mess!! (sadly AutoDesk QTO doesn't work well, cannot export reports! v 2013, do not have the latest version to use Navisworks and 2013 lacks the QTO option). So i am making multiple MTO's by duplicating and filtering for different mat. types.   So wondering if anyone has a smart method to add the category of Labor to Material take-off? I have tried several times but it is escaping me the particular bow to the east hop 3 times and chant that AutoDESK requires for what ought to be obvious eh?   Should be able to assign a rate to each material in terms of $/S.F. based on industry standards of hours spent which i can find here and adjust the SF to get an hourly rate adjust it according to our crew and generate a $$/SF for each type of install. . . http://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_frame_wall.html

Mahalo 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

Why not add a parameter to you materials (e.g Labor, for cost per m2). Then add this parameter to your schedule and multiply material area by labor?

Material.png 

Note that you wil have to add the new parameter as project parameter and assign it to the category materials

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Well I did try but i get the following errors : :

1. "The following (LABOR) is not a valid schedule field"

OR

when i set a calculated value to multiply material cost *
2. Inconstant units

OR

Mahalo
Roland Hoyle

Principal
http://ozon6.wix.com/badabim

ozon@icloud.com
(541)?264-0185
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Brilliant!  . . . following along (slowly tripping over my revit dyslexia) Got to the point where it works but  i have a couple of questions : : 

1.) What is that little curly page @ bottom of wood solid material which U clicked on?  It isn't there in 2013.  So that leads to how to add material parameter to show up in other field.  

2.) As seen below, i have made Labor fields and they compute alright but the labor to install field does not automatically populate all instances of material (in this case gyp.bd used in a wall assembly). So how <other than copy/paste> do i make this perform like other applications of costs to a category type where i get prompted to apply to all instances? It was originally made as an instance not a shared type. I am trying to generate adjustable categories for Labor rates / material. . . 

Found this comment in my digging >>" It is too bad one cannot initiate the creation of a Material parameter from this dialog." 

3.) Did some digging and it was suggested to assign material parameter  @ the level of family. . . how to do this?  Cannot figure out which family to open!  

In summation. . . thanks for Ur help!!

But . . . Why is this simple request so hard?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I keep on getting this error message when i try to multiply material costs X material area to get column so i can show total material cost next to labor cost . . . i have converted the material area using the "convert to number" kluge (why this is required is beyond me). . .

Finally have gotten some semblance of a workable schedule but i wonder why the levels are not showing up on the material gyp. bd??  this is set to sort the schedule but nothing. . .

Mahalo for your kind help as i stumble along encountering an amazing range of problems for simple things. . .

Message 6 of 12
L.Maas

Ok..I did it a little bit different.Some differences because I used Revit 2015.

MaterialParameter.png

For The Labor Parameter I created a project parameter and assign it to materials

When you go to the material browser

MatParameter.png

This is in Revit 2013. You see that you have now a custom parameter for each material.

You can use this in your schedule

Schedule.png

As Revit is indeed a bit strict on the units. The calculated Cost field is a number. Dividing an area by a number would not reuslt in a number but in an area. That is why Revit needs to divide it by 1 Area unit to get it back to a number.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
L.Maas

The boolean issue I have never encountered. Why the level will not show up is probably due to the walls.

If you look at a wall schedule

WallSchedule.png

You will see that level is missing. Reasoning (I expect) is that walls can span many levels. So assgining them to a level would be strange. So even in the case you may draw a wall restricted to a single level Revit will not expose the level for scheduling.

Louis

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Aha!. . . 

so my goal is to be able to have each material in a wall sandwich to have an editable amount / s.f. LABOR It appears that your method should work for each . . . awe inspiring.  

I was torn between just making an average of the whole wall based on my NCE and other costing sources, but i would like to have the flexibility and articulation which is why i have been trying to do it this way. . . 

Thanks for the clarification but i still am getting a syntax error! 

Will try again in the morning when brain is working. 

This came when attempting a calculated field. . . 

Mahalo

R

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Hmmm. . . well that is revealing! I was just thinking that because one would actually BUID a wall on a level . . . oh well close that door eh?! Mahalo
Message 10 of 12
L.Maas

You have as parameter name: "LABOR/MATERIAL". Just like a minus this gets confusing. Now Revit starts to do math again and tries to divide LABOR by MATERIAL.

In short avoid those characters in parameter names. Normally I will avoid using spaces, - + /, (,) etc.

I normally only use letters and sometimes and underscore (_)

Louis

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

oooh !  

Message 12 of 12
tnichols22F6W

If you are multiplying 'Material: Area' x 'Material: Cost', make sure to then divide (/1 SF). This should correct the 'Inconsistent Units' error

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators