Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing CAD

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jfjacques
734 Views, 8 Replies

Importing CAD

For the life of me I can't figure out the rules to importing cad. 

I have everything centered to 0,0,0 in Cad, it imports fine in one elevation, but doesn't in the other. What's going on? 

Everything in VG is fine. 

When I import in one view, the CAD shows up in the opposite view. WHY?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: jfjacques

Is the CAD file 2D or 3D?
Message 3 of 9
jfjacques
in reply to: ToanDN

2d,

It show's up on one elevation and not the other. 

I can copy paste a different import from the same cad file, from one elevation to this one. 

I cannot do so for this one, even though it shows up ion this other view. 

Message 4 of 9
jfjacques

It also tells me this import cannot be exploded? 

Message 5 of 9
jfjacques

It imports fine in one elevation as manual center. 

jfjacques_0-1624912400187.png

but I can't import it in the other elevation at all. Or any CAD for that matter. 

The weird thing is, it shows up in the other elevation. 

jfjacques_1-1624912468847.png

Message 6 of 9
jfjacques

I managed to copy it from another  view, but only if I explode it first. Which I have to create a work plane to do.... what's going on? 

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN

If it is a 2D CAD elevation then I suggest you to check Current View Only when import, then you can copy paste from one elevation to another.  Make sure Import categories is turned on for the elevation views.

"I managed to copy it from another  view, but only if I explode it first. Which I have to create a work plane to do.... what's going on? "

To answer this question, select a line from the exploded CAD elevation look at the properties.  Is the Detail Lines box checked or not?

Message 8 of 9
jfjacques

OK, that worked. 

I don't understand why this checkmark unchecked would make it impossible to import in the current view though. Where does it go if this checkmark is not clicked? 

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN

@jfjacques wrote:

OK, that worked. 

I don't understand why this checkmark unchecked would make it impossible to import in the current view though. Where does it go if this checkmark is not clicked? 

Thanks!

If you uncheck Current view only... when link or import, the CAD linework comes in as 3D model lines; when the box is checked, the CAD linework comes in as detail lines.  Detail lines you can copy paste from one view to others regardless of view types and view orientations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report