Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Excel Into Revit

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
Irich
126684 Views, 41 Replies

Import Excel Into Revit

I am reasonably certain that you cannot directly import an Excel Spreadsheet into a Revit drawing so what could I do as a work around?

We used a spreadsheet similar to the screen shot below to show elevations of embeds. There is not a lot of intelligence built into it (maybe some simple formulas) but I not sure how to create this table or something similar inside of Revit.

Capture.JPG

Beyond that, if I can find a way to make the table more intelligent and pull information from the model- floor elevations, form elevations, etc. then I would be golden!

Thanks for the help!

41 REPLIES 41
Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: Irich

You can also use Graitec PowerPack add-in for Revit. It has an option to link Excel spreadsheets:

https://www.graitec.com/Help/PowerPack-for-Revit/desktop/Documentation-WS_to_DXF.htm

They have also Link to Excel tool. a bi-directiona link between Revit and Excel:

https://www.graitec.com/Help/PowerPack-for-Revit/desktop/BIM_Data_Link_to_Excel.htm

Message 22 of 42
apadillami6
in reply to: Anonymous

Its free ??

@Anonymouswrote:

You can also use Graitec PowerPack add-in for Revit. It has an option to link Excel spreadsheets:

https://www.graitec.com/Help/PowerPack-for-Revit/desktop/Documentation-WS_to_DXF.htm

They have also Link to Excel tool. a bi-directiona link between Revit and Excel:

https://www.graitec.com/Help/PowerPack-for-Revit/desktop/BIM_Data_Link_to_Excel.htm

Message 23 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: apadillami6

It's around 125 euro a year the package with all the tools (not only the Excel one)

Message 24 of 42
benj

Capture.PNGThis App crashes the revit launch. Im looking for a Free autodesk app

Message 25 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I did try that. It shows cell border in Revit even though I have chosen "NO BORDER" in AutoCAD. Have you faced this problem too? Do you know the workaround to this?

Revit Cell Border.PNG
autoCAD cell border.PNG

Thanks

Message 26 of 42
benj
in reply to: benj

After an update, i no longer have crashes, & the Bim one app work perfectly every time, export & import. Thanks to BIM one Team...

@benj wrote:

Capture.PNGThis App crashes the revit launch. Im looking for a Free autodesk app

Message 27 of 42
benj

NO, not yet @ least. Albeit you assigned no border, you could stretch out the borders a bit to ''border" the data. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I did try that. It shows cell border in Revit even though I have chosen "NO BORDER" in AutoCAD. Have you faced this problem too? Do you know the workaround to this?

Revit Cell Border.PNG
autoCAD cell border.PNG

Thanks

Message 28 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: benj

Thank you for your quick response.

Message 29 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

We've been successful with small excel files using this method.  Occasionally, though, the text overlaps and misaligns.  Are there any solutions for that?

Thanks!

Message 30 of 42
Anonymous

We are hoping to find a way to import an Excel sheet *with all formatting* (borders, different sized cells, etc) into Revit.  See attached for a pdf of what we've started in Excel, and the idea would be to keep this looking pretty much just as is when imported to Revit. 

We tried the Imaginit utility but seems like that is more about importing just the data.  We also tried the AutoCAD approach, and while it kept some of the formatting it changed some too.  It forced it into being a simple table with all rows and columns being the same  size.

Is anyone aware of a way to do this, so that the file once placed in Revit looks basically just like the underlying Excel file?

Message 31 of 42
Sahay_R

Please try PyRevit, which offers import / export tools to and from CSV. Also CTC offers a CTC BIM Project Suite with the Schedule XL tool that creates a live link between an Excel file. 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 32 of 42
ddaneker
in reply to: ccg

Semi related issue:

Is it possible to possible to copy a value (cell) in a schedule (like a room schedule) and copy is to a selected series of sells? This is very easy in Excel. Why can’t that same feature be incorporated into REVIT? It is very time consuming to enter all the individual (identical) values one at a time, even with the "pull down" feature.

Just asking?

Message 33 of 42
leonHKFTG
in reply to: Sahay_R

thank you Rina,

PyRevit takes the automation of the method as far as it can given Revit's API limitations. In order to have PyRevit perform the task, we first must create the equivalent Project parameters. These parameters in many cases we simply don't want in the file, we are just trying to reference, for example, a code analysis performed by an in-house expert in our set of drawings, it would be the equivalent to a Drafting view, but shaped as a schedule, that is all most people are looking for. Also, PyRevit will only complete the task if the formatting of the csv file is very simple, anything with a bit of formatting will crash the script. Bottom line, it would be very good to be able to import Excel into Revit directly, it's a long standing wish for many, for years now. There are tools out there, but Revit is an expensive enough software as to expect these tasks to be part of the package at no extra cost:

https://agacad.com/products/tools4revit/excel2r/overview

Thanks for the PyRevit tip though.

Message 34 of 42
bill_gilliss

This works well for me:

1. Prepare the information in Excel just as you want it to appear in Revit: fonts, spacing, column widths, etc.

2. Save the Excel file and Save as PDF.

3. In Revit, use Insert > Link PDF and place the information. The default 72 DPI will look fuzzy - use 300.

4. When the data needs revision, update in Excel, save with the same PDF name, and then in Revit Manage Links > PDF > reload.  Pretty sweet - just the two programs you want to be using.

Message 35 of 42
ccg
Participant

Thanks Bill,

Yes - have had to resort to that as the 'compromise' to date, but still not a solution to importing or linking a live Excel Sheet directly into Revit.

I guess we will have to wait a little longer 🙂

Message 36 of 42
TerryDotson

DotSoft's RevitOffice is a new option for those who would consider third party add-ons.  All results are crisp text, vector lines and fills.  Also includes tools to import large MS Word documents into sheets, import PDF files without rasterizing, vectorize (scanned) raster images and more.

Message 37 of 42
carlosKEH3G
in reply to: Sahay_R

This info was massively helpful. Thanks!

Message 38 of 42
Sahay_R
in reply to: ddaneker

@ddaneker  I feel your pain - try this - go to a view where the scheduled elements are visible. Select them all - my favorite way of doing this is by window-selecting everything, then clicking on the Filter tool to deselect what is not required (this would be helpful in your example of a Room schedule - Rooms would be a category that can be isolated in the Filter. In the Properties palette look for the desired parameter and fill in the values. Verify the results in the schedule - all of the cells should have populated.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 39 of 42
jestj0sh

You can try using a plugin, https://www.axiomint.com/revit/

Message 40 of 42
jestj0sh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report