Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import CAD 2D plans to make them 3D in revit

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
RGD2991
1774 Views, 21 Replies

Import CAD 2D plans to make them 3D in revit

Hello,

I am University student and I've been tasked with completing floor plans, elevations and a through detail of a large 5 storey building.

I have already previously did these floor plans and elevations on AutoCAD LT for another project, so I was wondering if it's possible to transfer the plans and elevations I have completed on AutoCAD over to REVIT to make a full 3D model and if so, how difficult will it be to replicate the drawing.

I have no experience at all with REVIT, and our lecturer has tasked us this to just 'have fun' however, this is a graded mark so I'd like to do the best job I can.

I appreciate any help given, thank you!

Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
mhiserZFHXS
in reply to: RGD2991

No, there is no straight-forward way to do this. And if there were, it kinda sounds like doing that would go against the intent of your assignment. Not to mention you wouldn't learn anything. Do yourself a favor and do the assignment properly and gain some valuable experience in the industry-standard software.

Message 3 of 22
RGD2991
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

The first part of the assignment was to complete floor plans, not specified on which programme. I have AutoCAD experience as I am completing my degree vie apprenticeship route so I decided to use AutoCAD rather than hand drawing the plans (like 95% of students in this module).

I am not required to use REVIT for my job, I focus primarily on AutoCAD, therefore, apart from this assignment which is due in three weeks, I have no intentions of becoming a REVIT master.

Message 4 of 22
mhiserZFHXS

You're doing yourself a major disservice by looking for ways out of this. I'm not sure what your job is, but more and more firms are moving away from AutoCAD every year. Just because that's all you use now does not mean that is going to be the case in five years.

This is especially the case if you are working directly in architecture.

Message 5 of 22
RGD2991

Thank you for your concern, but like I previously said, I have already spent days completing these plans using AutoCAD when others simply hand drew them. I'm not trying to give myself a major disservice, I have already put the work in.

I have other assignments due in around the same time, if I had the time I would start fresh, but since I have already completed it in a different format I was just trying to see if there was a way to transfer the work I have already done.

I appreciate anyone else who can help or offer any advice, thank you!

Message 6 of 22
JL.FCG

Good on you for giving it your best.
Unfortunately there is no easy way around this, I would link your CAD plans into your Floor Plans (provided you have set up the levels already) and use these as the base for your 3D modelling. I personally wouldn't even link your elevations in, just use them for reference and levels. 

The industry as people are saying is moving more towards Revit, so use your spare time (if you have some) to learn it!

Good luck with your project.

Message 7 of 22
RGD2991
in reply to: JL.FCG

Thank you so much for your response, your comments confirm advice posted online, so it's much appreciated.

I currently working in the Rural division as a trainee Building Surveyor, they don't use REVIT at all here, only AutoCAD. But I confident that if we were ever to move to REVIT, we would receive training.

My University assignment advised that we would receive base floor plans and then simply have to edit them to our proposals, but that was suddenly changed and we now have to make them from scratch, a lot of students have complained for the extent of work expected with only 3 hours of training given.

Thank you again for your reply.

Message 8 of 22
mhiserZFHXS

@RGD2991 wrote:

I'm not trying to give myself a major disservice, I have already put the work in.

But you are. And no you didn't. The work is to build your project in Revit. How is your position any different than your colleagues saying they've already done the work? They also designed and documented something in a medium that's not Revit. So they also need to "redo" their work.

As I said, there is no way to fully automate this. So better get to work.

Message 9 of 22
RGD2991

Again, thank you for your concern. You can leave this thread now.

Message 10 of 22
JL.FCG

Yeah Building Surveyors are still primarily using CAD, and yeah I would definitely expect them to train you if your technical circumstances change!
That sounds like typical university lecturers, iv heard many stories from people on different University courses expected to do massive last minute coursework changes. Make sure you reach out to your lecturer if you feel like anything hasn't been explained well enough or taught at all, as it is their job to make sure you know.
This forum is great for technical help if you need it, feel free to private message me in the future if you need anything!
Message 11 of 22
RGD2991
in reply to: JL.FCG

You're a legend, thank you for your helpful responses. It's much appreciated!

Message 12 of 22
curtisridenour

Learning the Revit basics is probably one of the best things you can do for a Resume. Even if you don't plan to use it with surveying. I would suggest using a library card and getting LinkedIn Learning for free to get some of the basics of Revit down to finish your project. Even if the only reason is to say you have done some Revit and can put it on your resume.

Message 13 of 22
HVAC-Novice

Are you supposed to provide the final product in Revit, or is up to each student how to provide the work (by hand, CAD, or Revit)? 

I guess for future projects you know to use Revit right away. But for now you either link the dwg files you have (link, don't import!!!!) and you can see them in the views and then trace and build a 3D model. Unfortunately this isn't an automatic process. You have to place the windows, doors etc. You may already know, AutoCAD is drawing tool, Revit is a modeling tool. it isn't just a different file format you can convert. 

It is up to you if at this point you have enough time to do that or just settle for submitting what you did in AutoCAD if that is an option. You also have to weigh what time it takes to learn more in Revit, like create the sheets or whatever format you are supposed to submit. I guess a lot depends on what your teacher exactly requires. 

And good on you for using Revit despite the school not being set up for that. Shame on your school for teaching an obsolete software. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 14 of 22
RobDraw

@RGD2991 wrote:

You can leave this thread now.

Who ARE you?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 15 of 22
RobDraw

@RGD2991 wrote:

I have no experience at all with REVIT, and our lecturer has tasked us this to just 'have fun' however, this is a graded mark so I'd like to do the best job I can.

You need training/educating/guidance in order to start using Revit. If you are expecting to use your AutoCAD knowledge, forget about it. Revit is a totally different beast. A fun graded mark sounds like a recipe for an easy ace. Don't sweat it. Find a training class or some essential tutorials and you should be on your way within a few days of learning.

Rob

Message 16 of 22
robert2JCCH

I don't have much to add to the immediate need you're posting for - I'm simply going to agree with prior comments that you should take this disruption to your coursework structure as an opportunity to expand your knowledge a bit in the field. Even if your projected career path wouldn't utilize Revit, there's usually a point in the future where some preknowledge will help in coordinating with other disciplines or industries. 

For what it is worth, there are workflows developed by users to partially automate construction of 3D models from 2D CAD. As a prerequisite they require knowledge of both software types, conformance to a certain set of drafting/modelling standards, and add-ins or scripted tools that translate one set of standards to the other. As a  simple example, you can push 2D CAD walls to 3D Revit wall elements, but you need to have the background information that defines what is a 2D wall, what type of wall it's supposed to be, and what 3D Revit wall element corresponds to that definition. It's not something that's time-efficient for you to try and learn with a looming course deadline, but it's worth knowing if you ever do happen to dip into this aspect of the industry.

The difficulty in reconstruction, besides the learning curve, is going to be the design complexity of your original set of plans and elevations. If you have custom forms, nonstandard curtain panels, or just generally things that aren't simple layered walls, simple windows/doors/ceilings/roofs/etc., a significant portion of your time will wind up learning how to physically model the weird stuff. If it's a basic 5-story office suite with repeatable features, then following simple tutorials should get you 80% of the way there.

Message 17 of 22
RobDraw
in reply to: robert2JCCH

You make it sound like so much fun.

Rob

Message 18 of 22

for a quick rough 3d direct from a CAD file it could be a way to do it as shown in my screencast.

The CAD file has to be worked on Layers so to be able to isolate the walls from the rest of the drawing...

The openings : door and windows can be placed manually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU0Aw8HddXs

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

How to make a rough 3d from a 2d CAD file
Message 19 of 22
RGD2991
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

For the original assignment, it was only expected to complete the plans by hand as the lecturer knew of our limited experience using software. However, due to my job role I have a fair bit of CAD experience, so I asked if I could use CAD instead which he said would be great if I knew how to use it. So for the second part of the assignment he has requested drawings using REVIT software, I emailed to question this software due to the mix of experience with other students on REVIT.

His response was that when he first set out the coursework he assumed the class all had the same level of knowledge, and therefore was going to be giving everyone basic plans that we needed to amend to suit our new proposals that we completed in part 1, however after our one training lesson, it was clear that not everyone was on the same level on REVIT so he decided to not send the basic plans out and to let us try for ourselves... 

I am not trying to get out of using REVIT, I will happily learn it, but the expectation of creating a detailed 5 floor plan drawing with elevations is out of my reach for the time constraints, hence why I was asking if there was a way to import the work I already completed on AutoCAD.

Thank you for your reply.

Message 20 of 22

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes I have created all my elements in different layers/ blocks. I will be sure to watch your YouTube video, thank you again, it's really appreciated. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators