Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Bentley i.dgn files in Revit

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
8499 Views, 5 Replies

Import Bentley i.dgn files in Revit

Hello, 

i'm trying to find out if it is possible to import Bentley models with property informations (i.models) into Revit. Through research i have already found out that it is possible to export models from Revit as i.dgn files ant to open and edit them in MicroStation. 

My question now is if it is possible to open the i.models in Revit and edit them without problems? Whats problems occur when inserting and editing. Interface problems? Problems with the reference point? And so on...

(Revit 2018) 

Thank you very much for your help.

Annika

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You might find that not many here import dgn models into Revit.  Perhaps you could try and importing one (under the insert tab, link or import dgn) and let us know if you have any problems.  We may be able to help from this side.

Message 3 of 6
RDAOU

@Anonymous 

In principle, there shouldn't be (definitely not with respect to the interface/editing/reference/origin point) … but that depends also on how the Revit was modeled, the DGN Export settings you define and last but not least on ones expectations. There are many who always expect more and are never happy no matter what one offers/gives them.

We have exported several .dgn before to consultants using Bentley I-model/AECOsim and never received complaints (except for the usual complaint on why we chose Revit and Digital Projects over Bentley lol). With respect to user interface, you can use the OOTB exporter or Bentley's plugin for Revit.

I think you should be able to have a better perspective on what to expect and user complaints is you post your question on Bentley's I-model forum https://communities.bentley.com/products

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 6
hmunsell

this may not be exactly what you looking for, but... We work with DGN, DWG and RVT files all the time at my office. We have not had good luck importing any DGN format into Revit (i-model, native DGN, IFC, etc...). At this point i have all but given up trying to successfully bring a functional DGN into RVT.  Our current method is to export the DGN to DWG, then link the DWG into Revit. As long as we only need the DGN's as backgrounds, this is the most reliable method we have found for 2D or 3D DGN's to Revit. Luckily we have not had any client that wanted DGN's back, until recently.

Recently we started working with a client that has 3D Microstation backgrounds and wants 3D DGN's as the deliverable (3D and Sheet files). After a lot of experimentation and trying different things, we found exporting from Revit to DWG then opening the DWG into Microstation worked the most reliably.

• We used the "DGN" as backgrounds,
  • drew all the new work in Revit
  • export the new work out of Revit
  • referenced the exported DWG into the DGN
  • use the Merge to Master tool in Microstation to combine the New and Existing

I know that sounds like a lot of work, and it is. We had one of our programmers write a program to do it all with a click of a button :-). I'm not saying this is a solution for everyone, and it may not be the solution for the next project, but when dealing with DGN's and Revit that is what worked for us. 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
cody_austin
in reply to: hmunsell

You can open the .i.dgn in Autodesk Navisworks Simulate using the BETA DGN Reader (preview). Then you can reference the Navisworks .NWD/.NWC in Revit.

Cody Austin
Technical Solutions Executive
Message 6 of 6

Hi Hmunsell, I know this post is more than 2 years old but I thought to try my luck and ask. I am workin...these imported files. I think the problem is the DWG export since it's very hard to open and check then even with Autocad. I am just wondering if you could have any advice for me here? Many thanks. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report