Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove miter join in foundations?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
salmanjavaid2000
583 Views, 10 Replies

How to remove miter join in foundations?

I have joined two foundations and they form a miter join. When I want to put Free form rebar in it, it gives an error and asks to check the constraints. Is there a way to change the join type?

salmanjavaid2000_0-1637223545943.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

What about modeling those as concrete Beams? 

...you could even model them as Structural Walls for that matter.  

...edit: changing Concrete Beam Family's Model Behavior to Steel will allow you to use the Beam/Column Join Tool to Miter them together in the Project.  

Message 3 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: salmanjavaid2000

Are they Wall Foundations?  Can they be created as one foundation with multiple wall segments?

Message 4 of 11

I don't want to convert these into walls or beams, just to keep their quantities separate (that's the reason). 

Yes, these are wall foundations.

Is there any other way of making rebar (Free Form) in such a case without changing the family?

Message 5 of 11
RDAOU

@salmanjavaid2000 

The issue you are having is not related to the join type... see GIF below, using free form rebar

Aligned

Rebar Wall Foundations.gif

Or by Surface

Rebar Wall Foundations 1.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 11
salmanjavaid2000
in reply to: RDAOU

Ok. I thought the error was due to miter. I am attaching the file. You can have a look

Message 7 of 11
ToanDN

The footing should clean up nicely without any joint line.  Not sure how you got those joints in the first place.  I simply deleted and recreated some of them, see if you can place rebars now.

ToanDN_0-1637340715817.png

Message 8 of 11

Is this what you are trying to solve for?

Rebar19.png

Just to be clear: I'm referring to the Rebar condition (or non-condition) at return. 

....you're referring to this message in your original post; right?

Rebar19-1.png

Message 9 of 11
RDAOU

@salmanjavaid2000 

The error is related to the reinforcement settings not the foundations although they could use some clean up (join geometry and join order)

The primary issues causing the error are the following: 

1. Bending Diameters and constraints (You have set Bar #4 to be bent 3" dia...with the Path Start and End constraints set to 0", Revit will not be able to bend the bars) - Solution:
    • Select rebar >> Edit Constraints >> Give the Bar Handle: Path Start/End a negative 4" offset
    • Edit Bar type and reduce bend diameter if possible (for a Bar #4 you should be able to work with 2")
  2. Wrong Cover Settings. You are using Bar #4 BUT you have set the cover for Bar#6 to 18 - Solution:
    • Select the foundation >> Set the proper Cover settings 
    • GO to Reinforcement Settings and adjust cover if needed

See GIF below

Part 1

Fix rebar - Part 1.gif

Part 2

Fix rebar - Part 2.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 10 of 11

Here's my suggestion: Select the Single Bar and Edit Constraints and inset the Path <-1' 0">  at both ends.  Press Finish and change Layout to Multiple. Bada bing. No other changes necessary.     

Rebar19-2.png

Too easy?  

Message 11 of 11

Thankyou very much @barthbradley and @RDAOU. I am glad you got right on the point. I was a bit confused in the start that the issue might be due to the joins at end. Once again thanks a lot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators