Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make project dimensions auto-hide when an element is turned off

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
KaB90_com
267 Views, 6 Replies

How to make project dimensions auto-hide when an element is turned off

I have a family (a kitchen island) that can be toggled on/off and has been dimensioned up in a project.  In one of the elevation views when the family is toggled off the dimensions hide with it (this is what I want), but in the other views the dimensions stay on.  There are no overrides and the dims are the same style.  Any insights would be immensely appreciated. 

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: KaB90_com

The dimensions that aren't 'turning off' with the furniture must be pulled from something else in the View - something that's still visible.  There is no other explanation.  

Message 3 of 7
azad.Nanva

you should choose the furniture lines as the reference line for Dimensions.

Message 4 of 7

To ensure you select the correct element reference for dimensions, place your cursor over the element and check its name. If the correct element is not highlighted, press the Tab key until the desired element is selected.

vitorbortoncello_0-1720440131288.png

Message 5 of 7
mhiserZFHXS

How are you toggling the island on/off? Did you build a custom family that has a yes/no parameter controlling the 3D elements visibility? Or are you using a filter or v/g overrides?

My guess is you are only hiding the 3D elements. In one view, the dimension is attached to the 3D element, so its hiding, and in another view, you are dimensioned to a reference plane which isn't actually being hidden.

Message 6 of 7
TripleM-Dev.net

Hi @KaB90_com ,

I assume the on/off toggle is a YesNo parameter of the family itself that turns geometry visibily on/off?

Use a viewfilter to turn the family invisible, dimensions will "auto-hide" even if the dimensions are attached to the families reference plane(s).

If the Toggle is a shared parameter use that to filter on or another shared / builtinparameter that reacts to this Toggle. Like Type Comments, with formula; if(Toggle, "ON", "OFF")

Else make sure only the geometry is dimensioned that is controlled by the family toggle.

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN

If the host is turn off then the associated dimensions are also turned off automatically. I think you placed dimensions to ref plane of the family, you turned off elements of the family, but not the ref planes, so the dimensions stay on.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators