Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change a window to frosted window

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3390 Views, 7 Replies

How to change a window to frosted window

Hi,

I'm a student learning to use Revit and currently having trouble making a window to frosted. I tried to change the bathroom window to a frosted one by applying a frosted glass material. Tried to change the color and use the image option, but it always appears to be clear in the realistic view.

Could anyone give me some guidance here? I'm using Revit 2018, and attached screenshots and the window family for your reference.

Thank you!

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Fist, associate the components which has material to parameters in the family. This way you do not need to keep switching back and forth whenever you need to change a material

For the frosted Glass...Use a Generic Material Asset or any other asset which gives more  control over transparency, glossiness and reflection..

window glass material1.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 8
syman2000

Default glass frost has limited control. I would replace it with Reflective - Coated

reflective coated.png

In this setting, you can go to transparency and adjust the translucent factor and decrease the transparency amount to 1.

translucency.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 4 of 8
lucdoucet_msdl

Similar discussion here: Revit 2021 materials changes-Frosted glass showing clear in realistic view, frosted in enscape view

What may help you, is that they had a solution for frosted glass in realistic view working for pre2021 versions of Revit with a screen capture of there appearance settings for solid glass reflection/refraction/roughness settings as well as a relief pattern map for you to try.

-luc

lucdoucet_msdl_0-1630338079346.jpeg

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

Hi RDAOU,

Thank you very much for your swift reply. Worked very well and the suggestion to set material to a parameter is really helpful

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: syman2000

Hi syman2000,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't find reflective-coated materials though, maybe due to the version? I'm using 2018

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: lucdoucet_msdl

Hi lucdoucet_msdl, 

Thank you for your reply. Your solution works well too. Just the one by RDAOU has more flexibility for me

Message 8 of 8
syman2000

I am using Revit 2017 and it was there.

relfective.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report