Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I show shelf linework behind a casework door?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
JakeWri
954 Views, 11 Replies

How do I show shelf linework behind a casework door?

I am trying to create a casework family that shows shelving as linework behind a panel. I found this family that has this feature but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to recreate it in my own family. 

The shelf linework is embedded in the shelf family. Inside the shelf family there is only a projected hidden line at the elevation. As far as I can tell there is no funky parameters or visibility settings inside the shelf family or inside the host family. 

If I try copy the shelf family into my own casework the linework does not show up. 

jakeFATPP_0-1646411431427.png

The linework is hosted to a reference plane but it is set to the back of the shelf family. I have matched this family exactly but I still cannot get it to work. 

jakeFATPP_1-1646411846954.png

Anyone know what I am missing?

Labels (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: JakeWri

Untick Draw in Foreground.

Message 3 of 12
WEC17

Go to Manage tab and Additional Settings/Line styles/+Beyond and set Line pattern to Hidden 1/8. Once you set this every thing that is beyond another element will show up with a hidden line.
Then go to view tab and click on chow hidden lines Click on the element at the front and the the element on the back and it will show hidden lines.
Message 4 of 12
JakeWri

@ToanDN That solution did not work for my shelf and the shelf family I am referencing has the draw in foreground box checked as well. 

@WEC17 Inside the family you cannot adjust the line styles. What I showed is what is viewable inside the family itself. Do you know how to edit this inside the family?

Anyone else have a solution?

Message 5 of 12
RDAOU

@JakeWri 

There are several ways to do it and  that is easy..however, to guess what has been modeled in the family you found (the one that works for u) and the one you are currently modeling, one must be a fortune teller....

Post/attach both families and let someone help u 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 12
ToanDN

Share the family.

Message 7 of 12
WEC17

If I understand what you trying to do creating the line within the family.  When creating you family  go to manage tab/Object Style.  the window will open there you can add all the lines you need for family.

Message 8 of 12
JakeWri

@RDAOU @ToanDN @WEC17 

Sorry all, I was a bafoon and I should have uploaded files in the first place. All help is appreciated.

Message 9 of 12
ToanDN

I can't open the file right now but I read your response again and it seems you still check Display in foreground box.  It should be unchecked.

Message 10 of 12
RDAOU

@JakeWri 

You nested components and the depth of the nested shelf is less than that of the Cabinet and it concealed by the Door Panel from the front and the carcass from the back. For those lines to show, you have 2 options;

1. Either place them directly in the cabinet family (detail lines or a nested detail component)
  2. OR trick Revit to Bring them to Front

The first option is creates less confusion usually ... See Below GIF (using second option) and the attached revised family. 

PS: only looked at the Shelf issue...any other issues you would need to check and address separately)

Casework_Hidden Shelf_Short.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 12
JakeWri

@RDAOU I can't believe I could not get it to work. I guess when I originally set up the shelf I did not have enough of an offset for the annotation. Thank you kind stranger for your help!

Message 12 of 12
ToanDN

@JakeWri wrote:

I am trying to create a casework family that shows shelving as linework behind a panel. I found this family that has this feature but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to recreate it in my own family. 

The linework is hosted to a reference plane but it is set to the back of the shelf family. I have matched this family exactly but I still cannot get it to work. 

- You hosted linework on the back reference plane, which is wrong.  Host then on the Door Front ref plane.

ToanDN_0-1646681962952.png

- You have the Door Front ref plane to Face of Shelf = 7/8" which is not far enough.  It should equal or more than the 1 5/8" dimension per your cabinet configuration.  That is so the Door Front ref plane is at or in front of the door face in the cabinet family.

ToanDN_1-1646682081148.png

- Result:

ToanDN_2-1646682153344.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report