Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off shingles and plywood from plans in Revit LT?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
svalen
1053 Views, 10 Replies

How can I turn off shingles and plywood from plans in Revit LT?

I am trying to turn of the shingle and plywood layer from my plans in Revit LT

and not show anything beyond the foundation.

I am hearing that Revit LT does not have the "Filter" option that Revit does.

Is there any other way to do this?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Redrunner92
in reply to: svalen

What kind of drawing are you concerned with? A foundation plan? A regular floor plan? Something else?

FYI, here is a list of differences between Revit "full" and Revit LT (in case you hadn't found a list already). It looks like view filters didn't make the cut with LT:

https://microsolresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Revit-LT-vs-Revit-2020.pdf 

I do not vouch for how accurate this document is, but it gives a starting point in seeing the differences.

Message 3 of 11
svalen
in reply to: Redrunner92

It would be for a typical floor plan..

Message 4 of 11
Redrunner92

Are you able to show the plan in Coarse detail level? That would hide the different layers of the walls.

Message 5 of 11
svalen

ah,  not a bad idea, this works ok. 

I usually provide exterior dimensions to the face of foundation/outside face of studs however, so I want that inch of thickness beyond the face of foundation removed.

I suppose I could just remove plywood and wood shakes out of my wall types, apply a shingle pattern to the exterior face of studs for elevations and draft back in the plywood and shakes in section where necessary?

Message 6 of 11
Redrunner92

That workaround has a lot of drawbacks. But your using Revit LT makes this difficult. Would you explain why you want hide the siding and sheathing layers, as opposed to merely drawing dimension lines which snap to the face of the studs and leaving the finish layers visible?

If you are obliged to make the siding and sheathing invisible, though, and you need a workaround, here is an idea. Rather than remove items from the model and replace them with detail items, I would model what you want the building to truly include, then remove items as necessary. Modelling more and detailing less is a general rule I follow and it has worked well for me. In this case, you could show the floor plan using Coarse detail view, then draw detail lines in the walls where at the outside face of the studs, then connect your dimension lines to those detail lines, then use Masking Regions to hide the finish layers in that view. That way the finish layers are present so they show up in other views, but they are effectively invisible on your floor plan.

Though I must say, this workaround makes me a little nauseous because I don't like "forcibly hiding" things via detail items. That is simply not how Revit is meant to work.

Message 7 of 11
svalen

That may be a good approach as well.

I guess I am just used to not drafting anything past the foundation in autocad

for residential projects. Obviously it is more accurate to do so, and Revit makes this easy for us.

I wonder what builders prefer to see...

Message 8 of 11
Redrunner92

Contractors who have worked with my drawings in the past have said they are fine with seeing the siding and sheathing materials, as long as it was clear that the dimensions referred to the outside face of the studs. To make this easy and unmistakable, in my project general notes on my cover sheet I would add a note saying "dimensions referring to exterior walls are to outside face of studs, U.N.O." That left the responsibility on the contractor to actually read my General Notes 😉

Working in Revit LT can be tough, that's worth mentioning as well. Though I certainly understand the appeal of the drastically lower price tag.

Message 9 of 11
barthbradley

Course Detail Level doesn't work for you? 

What about VGO Override Host Layer/Cut Line Styles?  Check it out. 

Cut Line Styles 1.png

Message 10 of 11
georgehobel
in reply to: barthbradley

Ive been working in Revit LT as well, and have had to deal with this issue.  Ive tried the "stud" only approach, and it works sometime.  Ive used the coarse detail level approach sometimes. Ive used the masking approach on certain occasions and Ive also used the modified line approach.  My favorite is the VGO method so the lines arent so thick and you can still see the details.

Looking to upgrade to full Revit with my next renewal.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 11 of 11
svalen
in reply to: georgehobel

Are you turning the plywood lines to white so they don't show?

Also, do you set the plywood outside of the core boundary on inside?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report