Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how best to indicate painting a curtain wall

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
kgatzke
2101 Views, 8 Replies

how best to indicate painting a curtain wall

We're converting a space to an auditorium/cinema and the intent is to paint the glass and mullions of a curtain wall family clerestory window matte black.  

What's the best way to model and annotate this?  Typically we show finishes with room tags on plans but in special cases we do interior elevations and tag materials.

The problem I'm running into is apparently I can't use the paint tool on curtain walls.  I unpinned the mullions and panels but their surfaces seem unpaintable.

If that's not an option what should I do?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: kgatzke

Duplicate the curtain wall type (and maybe the mullion and panel types, depend on how you set them up) and change the material for the mullion and panel.

Message 3 of 9
kgatzke
in reply to: ToanDN

That creates a demolition /new material count for the new curtain wall.  I can't even get a graphic override to work on a curtain wall.  Why are they like this?

Message 4 of 9
ToanDN

They should still be under Existing Phase so that they don't appear in your new schedule.  On floor plans, they should look identical to the existing/non painted curtain walls.  On elevations, they appear differently due to the different material.

Message 5 of 9
kgatzke

But it will also appear different in exterior elevations, which granted will actually happen if we do this.  I'm against the idea of painting windows to black them out but it's that or something more important will get v.e.'d out of the project.

I'm creating a 1/16" thick paint wall that will ride the inside surface of the glass and carry a duplicate of the matte black paint material with special type mark indicating the painter is to paint the interior surfaces of the mullions as well.

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN

Do you actually do elevations of the existing conditions in shaded or realistic visual style? If not, it does not matter. Even if you do, create the existing elevations under new construction phase with phase filter set to show previous, all the materials will be overridden to grey color.
Message 7 of 9
kgatzke

No, we do standard hidden line elevations, and only when there's call for indicating multiple materials and finishes that can't be handled by the wall type tag, room finish tag or wall section.

Message 8 of 9
ToanDN

@kgatzke wrote:

No, we do standard hidden line elevations, and only when there's call for indicating multiple materials and finishes that can't be handled by the wall type tag, room finish tag or wall section.

then I don't see any problems using a different mullion type for the existing with new paint mullions.  Below I show two options side by side:  (1) paint selected mullions of an existing curtain wall - by unpin the mullions and change to a new type, (2) paint the entire mullions of a curtain wall - by create a new curtain wall type and assign the mullion globally.

Capture.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture4.PNG

Message 9 of 9
chrisplyler

If it's just a one-off situation, just put a couple of text notes in the appropriate views calling out the paint, and move on. At least, that's what I would do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report