Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are IFC file material relations maintained across multiple platforms?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3959 Views, 4 Replies

How are IFC file material relations maintained across multiple platforms?

The IFC file has the IFCMATERIAL property which stores the name of a material from the Revit library, IFCMATERIAL('Concept'); for example.

How are these materials mapped across multiple platforms where Revit may not be available on the other system.

From the file there appears to be some references to Revit which may constrain the model, if the relations don't persist is there a way of forcing the relation through copying the materials library?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

The IFC file import/link becomes a part of the Revit model and retains its material properties.

See HERE for more information  on the IFC Material properties

See HERE for how to Load and Modify an IFC Mapping File

Can you explain what you mean by,'How are these materials mapped across multiple platforms where Revit may not be available on the other system?'

Are you looking for materials mapping in other s/w or in Windows versions/ iOS?

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Thanks for the response.

I'd seen in the file the IFCAPPLICATION property which I reckoned was used to bind the file to its creator and by extension tied the materials.

By this I meant: Say I exported an IFC file and then sent it to another user who worked with xBIM and didn't have Revit, how would xBIM be able to reconcile materials with the objects?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Message 4 of 5
arghavan.A
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous!

From what I know Thermal properties of materials are not exported from Revit to IFC, only names and styles are exported.

So, to answer your question, probably, a different tool will understand that this material is, for example, concrete, and  then can map this concrete to its internal material library, and choose a close enough material according to the input the IfcSurfaceStyle.

I know an Energy Simulation tool that follows the same procedure. This was just an example though.

9de093106371c839e9a53071f7cb0b21667276b8.png

c66b0ad22ac4cd58311e8b8501e06b9e92529024.png

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: arghavan.A

There is an update of the missing material properties from Revit to IFC? I'm talking about this thermal properties

thermal.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report