Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Cutting Complex Solids and Voids

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ind9
1011 Views, 9 Replies

Help Cutting Complex Solids and Voids

Hello, I need some help-

Basically what I am wanting to do is cut one in place mass with another in place mass.  I have no idea if this is possible but from what i have read so far it does not seem so.  what I have is two of the same shape, but with one scaled slightly smaller.  I would like to hollow out the larger one with the smaller one.  I am not sure if the pictures will help explain but any advice or tips would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Mohamed-Nassar
in reply to: ind9

what's the category u need to make it cut?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above reply answers your question; Please mark it with ACCEPT SOLUTION
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mohamed Nassar , ACP, Autodesk Ambassador Gold
BIM Support / Structure Modeler
Message 3 of 10
ind9
in reply to: Mohamed-Nassar

Hi @Mohamed-Nassar ,

It is a model in-place component under under the roof family parameters.  I originally put it into this category as it is intended to be a folded plate roof and I wanted to be able to attach walls to top without having to edit the boundaries of several different walls in different orientations.  It is would be easier to do what I am asking in a different category it should be somewhat easy to remake.

Message 4 of 10
martijn_pater

Model both geometries in the same family and set the smaller one as void to cut with... (it's an in-place family? Not sure now if you meant solid instead of mass' geometry actually...)

Message 5 of 10
barthbradley

Is it an In-Place Component or In-Place Mass?  

Message 6 of 10
ind9
in reply to: barthbradley

Hello @barthbradley ,

It is in In-Place Component, sorry for the confusion.

Message 7 of 10
barthbradley

Well you can cut a solid with a void in the SAME family.  I suppose you already know this and your question is how to get a void from one In-Place to cut a solid from a different In-Place. No can do.  Would be nice though.  You could Clipboard Copy Paste the Solid from one In-Place into the other In-Place, turn it into a Void and then Cut the Solid with it.  

Message 8 of 10
martijn_pater

That's about the gist of it... OR alternatively you could cut/join both geometries and hide the inner one, you could set it to a certain subcategory hidden in all views ie. after joining or using view filter, not exactly the same as cutting it though...

Message 9 of 10
ind9
in reply to: martijn_pater

@martijn_pater 

That's the solution I have right now, I was hoping to avoid having to remake the plates again but whatever it takes to get it right, thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 10
ind9
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley 

Awesome! Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report