Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble understanding how to link a revit file with a relative path type in a BIM 360 project

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
robinG3P9Q
144 Views, 0 Replies

Having trouble understanding how to link a revit file with a relative path type in a BIM 360 project

Hi all,

Sorry if this has come up before a lot, but I've tried reading up on this issue and so far have been unable to fully understand/figure out how to deal with this correctly.

So basically I'm working at a small architecture firm that is still relatively new to Revit and using BIM 360, and we are trying to link a revit file into our main project file that is hosted on BIM 360. However, when we link in the other Revit file (which is stored on Box - a filesharing program like Dropbox if you're unfamiliar), we can only link the file in as an absolute path type. This means that if User A links it in, User B can't see the linked file in the shared Revit Model despite having access to it through Box. We're trying to figure out how we can get things to work so that both Users A and B can see the linked file inside the main project file. My research so far has led me to a couple points of understanding - please let me know if they are incorrect - first, that what we want is for it to be a relative path type, not an absolute path type link. My understanding is that this might fix the issue - because right now the saved path goes first to User A's local computer, and then from there to Box and to the linked file, meaning that User B is unable to see the linked file because they don't have access to User A's computer, despite having access to the file ultimately through Box. So I think being able to change it to a relative path type where it goes straight to Box would solve this problem. The issue is that I have no idea how to change this. It doesn't give me any option to change the path type that I can find. I have found something about needing to edit the saved path using "../../", but I can't figure out exactly what this means or how to implement it. Can anybody please help clarify what we can do so that we can get linked files to display for both/all users?

Thank you very much in advance. Please let me know any other information I could provide that might help solve this problem and I'd be happy to share it! Thanks again.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators