Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost lines in 3D views

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
4628 Views, 12 Replies

Ghost lines in 3D views

Hello everybody!

I am experiencing a problem with grey lines showing up in my 3D views. I have attached an image to show you exactly what I mean.

These lines seem to be the projection of the connecting walls. The walls are joined together by using "Join Geometry" function. I also used the "Trim/Extend" function to re-connect the walls together and the grey lines still show up. I tried to use line work (LW) to turn those lines into invisible lines but I cannot select them. I also tried to reset the view (assuming this is a visual error) and it did not help.

Can I hide them from Visibility Graphics (VR) settings? How can I get rid of these grey lines?

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

These look to me like display artifacts, do these appear if you change zoom level / angle and more importantly do they appear if you export (print) to pdf?

Message 3 of 13
constantin.stroescu

as it looks, could also be a problem from your hardware. Try to turn off Hardware Acceleration:

• Application Menu (R) > Options> Graphics>Graphics Mode> turn off Use Hardware Acceleration.

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you for your replies!

I have attached another printscreen for a closer look. The lines look dashed and it seems that even if I use Trim/Extend, one wall will go till the exterior side of the other wall.

@Anonymous 

Yes, the lines still apear after I print to PDF or export the view to an image. I can rotate, zoom, etc. and the lines are still there.

@constantin.stroescu

I have turned off Hardware Acceleration. The grey lines are still there. I don't think it is a display artifact.

Message 5 of 13
chrisplyler

Out of curiosity, what happens if you change the corner wall joins to the miter condition?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

The lines still show up if I change the angle between walls by 5 degrees, but they will dissapear if I change it by 15 degrees.

Message 7 of 13
chrisplyler

I am not talking about changing the angle between the walls. I am talking about changing the condition of the intersection.

Use the Modify > Geometry > Wall Joins tool to set an offending intersection to the miter condition.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Sorry, didn't know about the Join Walls tool.

Miter condition fixes the problem but I don't want the joins to show like that in plans.

Message 9 of 13
ToanDN

Copy and paste the two walls to another file and upload it.

Message 10 of 13
chrisplyler

If mitering the intersections works, then perhaps the lines are caused by some discrepancy with wall layer heirchy designations, materials assignments and wrapping settings? Perhaps a thin outer layer isn't set to wrap, above an subsurface layer that is set to wrap? Or perhaps a thin outer layer is set to be heirarchally above a layer that's below it? Just guessing here. Or maybe an inner layer is trying to wrap/connect with itself, but you've got some of the walls insides facing the outside, and so it pushes through to connect?

What happens if you pick one of the intersecting walls and reverse its interior/exterior orientation?

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN

Here you go... I have attached the .rvt file with the external walls.

@chrisplyler

Thanks for your reply. I have already checked if the wrapping is causing this by choosing "Do not wrap" option. Also, I reversed the walls with no success.

Message 12 of 13
ToanDN

Change to miter join or cycle to the next butt join does get rid of the ghost line.  I don't see how that affect your floor plan?

A couple of notes from your file:

- You have the interior/exterior on the wrong side

- If you have two layers of masonry, unless both if them are Structure, I would change one to Finish category.  It would help with wall clean up properly when you have complex intersections.

Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Changing to miter join does get rid of the ghost line. However, I have attached a screenshot to show you how the wall join will look in the plans.

Cycling to the next butt join will just swap the ghost line between the two adjoining walls. You cannot see it in your screenshot because the wall is shaded. Rotating the view will reveal that ghost line again, but on the other adjoining wall.

I guess my only option is to cycle the butt joins so that the ghost lines won't show up in the needed views.

Thank you for your help! I didn't notice I have the interior/exterior on the wrong side. I will fix that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report