Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula in Label not working

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
LicensedARCH
1694 Views, 35 Replies

Formula in Label not working

Hi!

I am having trouble getting a label in a family to calculate a simple sum of values in other labels.

I have attached the family to see if someone can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Basically, I need the "Total Existing SF" label to reflect the sum of the values of the labels for existing structures (i.e. "Existing Residence SF", "Existing Patio SF", etc.).

Similarly, I need the "Total Proposed SF" label to reflect the sum of the values of the labels for proposed structures (i.e. "Proposed ADU", "Existing Patio SF").

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
barthbradley
in reply to: LicensedARCH

Do you have the next level? The RVT that this is inserted into would help, otherwise we're just looking at a bunch of "dumb" labels reading nothing.  

Message 3 of 36
rxi.gg

I suggest you to create a schedule in a rvt model, that gives to you much more tools to do that

Roi G. | AUTODESK REVIT & DYNAMO EXPERT

Da un "Me gusta" si la respuesta te ha resultado útil y acéptala como solución si ha resuelto tu duda.
Give a "Like" if the answer has been useful to you and accept it as a solution if it has solved your doubt.

Message 4 of 36
LicensedARCH
in reply to: barthbradley

Just insert in any other “dumb” (or “smart”) project and type in the values…

They are project parameters which can be added on the project once the family is added.

Sample project uploaded...

Message 5 of 36
barthbradley

Misspelling.  

Spelling.png

Message 6 of 36
barthbradley

Something else....DO NOT assign a Project Parameter to both Sheets and Project Information.  One or the other; not both.  

Message 7 of 36
barthbradley

Spelling2.png

Message 8 of 36
LicensedARCH

Thanks for the responses.

I'll see if I can make sense of this later today.

Question:

Who accepted the solution?

I know I didn't...

Message 9 of 36
LicensedARCH

Don't understand...
Are you able to make it work or not?
Message 10 of 36
barthbradley

Not the way you had it set up.  But it was correctable.  It was a lot of work too.  I don't think you realize that. You seemed to dismiss the significance of providing the Project file along with the Family - as if the Compliance Analysis would work in ANY Project.  The Compliance Analysis doesn't magically populate when you load it into a Project. The Project needs to have Project Parameters for every one of the Shared Parameters that the Compliance Schedule is using.  

Message 11 of 36
barthbradley

I don't know who marked my excellent contribution to you as the Accepted Solution, but I would like to know who removed it. Did you?    

Message 12 of 36
LicensedARCH

Yep - not a solution...

Message 13 of 36
barthbradley

@LicensedARCH wrote:

Yep - not a solution...

hear that?

I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you right now.  

There is no issue with your Compliance Analysis, so I have no idea what you are looking for.  And curt responses like "Yep - not a solution..." are not helpful.  They're just rude.   

Message 14 of 36
LicensedARCH

I saw the notes you made. Don’t understand them. I am not an expert in Revit so I might be missing the obvious.
If I see the solution, I will check as solved and give you credit.
So far, I cannot give you credit for solving.
I see your point about needing the project, which I did provide.
You have called my parameters “dumb” - perhaps they are
You pointed out a misspelling- yep: I messed up - not sure if that caused the values not to calculate, which is what I need resolved.

I am rude, you are condescending - I guess nobody is perfect.
Message 15 of 36
barthbradley

Alright, let's start over and from the beginning.  

@LicensedARCH wrote:

Hi!

I am having trouble getting a label in a family to calculate a simple sum of values in other labels.

I have attached the family to see if someone can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Basically, I need the "Total Existing SF" label to reflect the sum of the values of the labels for existing structures (i.e. "Existing Residence SF", "Existing Patio SF", etc.).

Similarly, I need the "Total Proposed SF" label to reflect the sum of the values of the labels for proposed structures (i.e. "Proposed ADU", "Existing Patio SF").

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RE: "Total Existing SF" label 

You don't need the "Total Existing SF" Label it in your Compliance Analysis.  The “EX SUM” Label can replace it.  The "EX SUM" Calculated Parameter Label does exactly what you want.   

EX SUM = Existing Residence SF + Existing Patio SF + Existing Accessory Structure + Existing Accessory Structure 2

RE: "Total Proposed SF" label 

You don't need the "Total Proposed SF" Label it in your Compliance Analysis.  The “PROP SUM” Label can replace it.  The "PROP SUM" Calculated Parameter Label does exactly what you want.  

PROP SUM = Proposed ADU SF + Proposed Covered Patio SF

Message 16 of 36
barthbradley

@LicensedARCH wrote:

You have called my parameters “dumb” - perhaps they are

For what it's worth, a "Dumb" Label is one that does not have the capability to process data.  

Message 17 of 36
ToanDN

Create the family as a generic annotation then you can sum different labels automatically.

I put all parameters including the calculated value in one label but you can separate them to individual labels just like you did in your family.  The SUM will still calculate correctly.

ToanDN_0-1659804961675.png

Message 18 of 36
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

How is that any different from what the OP is doing now?  Serious question.    

Message 19 of 36
ToanDN

How is it not?

Message 20 of 36
barthbradley

@LicensedARCH wrote:

You pointed out a misspelling- yep: I messed up - not sure if that caused the values not to calculate, which is what I need resolved.

Let me respond to this as well. 

Misspelling is not an uncommon mistake, and misspelling is often the cause of Labels not working - which is what I initially understood your problem to be (e.g. "Label not working").

If a Label is reporting the value of a Shared Parameter named "Existing", it won't report the value of a Shared Parameter named "Exisitng".   I have made this exact same mistake and it was maddening to troubleshoot because I didn’t catch the misspelling initially.  It is barely perceptible.

So, pointing out the misspelling wasn’t meant to scold you for “messing up”.  That would be rude and condescending. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators