Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Featurelist of 2018

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
pieter5
19207 Views, 22 Replies

Featurelist of 2018

I wonder when Autodesks decides on the features/changes for the next release. Is the list for 2018 decided upon yet? If not, when is that call made (and by who).

Any chance you will give us a sneak peak to the next top priorities that have already been decided?

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
loboarch
in reply to: pieter5

Thanks for the question. There is not really a specific time a set of features for a release is decided upon. It is somewhat of a rolling type of thing. You might think about it like a subway platform. The train (Revit release) is scheduled to happen at what ever time. As the train approaches people (features) gather at the platform to get on the train. Then the doors open and the people get on, then the process starts all over again. Some people are there waiting for the train a long time, and some just make it in as the doors are closing.

This is a bit like how a release gets put together. We are constantly developing features and functionality and then release when ready. Some feature take longer than others and a few releases go by before it is finally put in.

As for "who" decides what features are in and out, our team of product managers weigh many factors in deciding what is ultimately in and out of a release. It is really more about planning and timing rather than coming up with a specific set of features.

As for getting a "sneak peek", you can always join the Beta program for Revit. We have preview releases monthly there to test potential new functionality. Early on it is a bit more closed but as we move forward into the Fall more people are invited to join.

https://beta.autodesk.com/oid/login.html?msg=&ref=

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 23
william.arias
in reply to: loboarch

Could Revit 2018 finally focus on documentation instead of features for Designers. We need a way to edit  Keynotes.  AutoCAD Architecture can do these things and yet on Revit we need to rely on 3rd parties to do this.

Message 4 of 23
leojk
in reply to: loboarch

Hi developers,

You know what, I think you are forgetting about who is paying you and who is buying your software, so you are not listening to us any longer.

This is your quote:

It is really more about planning and timing rather than coming up with a specific set of features.

I think, it's US who pay for your software, and WE want the features we are PAYING you for.

So, YOU should drop your relaxing MODE of creating software based on timing and something else, and

INTEGRATE the features WE want to have it. And we want to have them 100% working, and not 20%.

Because it's US who are working 24/7 with this software, and WE have the right to be HEARD and LISTENNED to.

At the moment REVIT is about 50% complete and workflow is about 30% of effectiveness of AutoCAD MEP.

And yes, it mostly satisfies only Architects.

😉

I hope you listened to my message and HEARD it.

Message 5 of 23
CadWhisperer
in reply to: leojk

I will say that I've been working with Revit since 2008 and will never go back to CAD.  It's much faster, more efficient, and a better documentation tool.  Note that I only do MEP.

I would suggest reaching out to people who have used it before rather than attacking the developers of the program.  I believe that their comment about timing is more based on the fact that they are always making advancements and updating and at some point need to put pencils down and release a new version each year.  To ask that they hurry up and release and have it work perfectly is not reasonable.

I'd be interested to hear what you do faster in Autocad MEP rather than Revit?

After working in an MEP engineering firm for 10 years (who uses Revit now exclusively) I started my own consulting company helping engineers and contractors adapt the program and become efficient - I'd be happy to help you with issues you are experiencing and can do it from a non-Autodesk developer angle since I have lived through the ups and downs throughout the past 10 years.

Adam

adam@cadwhispering.com

Message 6 of 23
leojk
in reply to: CadWhisperer

Well.....

Where do I start?

- Mostly oriented on Architects, and it has been conceived for architects

- Files bigger than 100-150Mb is not loaded, Revit crashes. No current fix

- No proper 3D modelling shapes like in 3DS Max.

- No proper realistic rendering like in Maya or at least Cinema 4D.

- Drafting is not even synchronized with the modelling of the rest. It acts as a out of the blue separate place.

- Ribbon bar couldn't even be copied from AutoCAD to make the workflow easy, and learning curve smoother

- 3D modelling is a kind of a shambles with commands.

- Aligning in 3D at different corners other than 90 degrees doesn't align intuitively. (Of course there is a way around)

- There is still no lighting simulation, rendering or anything similar to DialUx even basic features. Other packages like Cinema 4D, 3DS Max or Maya had it by default from the earliest versions.

- Offset is a misleading tool to use. (especially for the new learners)

- No actual electrical wiring like in AutoCAD Electrical. Not even basic.

- Can't work with layers even in 2D.

- Import/Export functions are sort of a hit and miss.

- Even experienced technicians spend 1 day to set the project in the beginning to use it.

- No decent animation, timeline..........

and I don't have time to proceed any more... 😉

And we had the best hardware in our office. Best Autodesk certified graphic cards and everything else.

Conclusion: I am not here to make anyone to do anything. Everyone has its own choice and path. And I am not accusing anyone.

I am just not paying £2,000.00 for the product which is barely finished in 50%. No matter how brilliant Autodesk propaganda is.

Until now we could perfectly design, calculate and engineer anything without REVIT, and the secret is OUR BRAINS. 😉

Revit can do nothing what AutoCAD or any other similar software can do. And by the way, you know that it doesn't check for mistakes.

We all still have to use our brains. 😉

Message 7 of 23
CadWhisperer

@leojk wrote:

Well.....

Where do I start?

- Mostly oriented on Architects, and it has been conceived for architects

I don't see a specific question here.  It was originally created by architects for architects - but that was over 10 years ago.  There have been many many substantial changes to the MEP.

- Files bigger than 100-150Mb is not loaded, Revit crashes. No current fix

Sounds like your hardware is an issue here.  I work on models over 1GB in size and have no issues either locally or utilizing A360 Collaboration for Revit.  You should have minimum 32GB RAM.

- No proper 3D modelling shapes like in 3DS Max

What special modelling shapes are you looking for to produce Revit MEP documentation?  Revit is for construction documentation, not fine detailing like in solidworks or 3DS Max.

- No proper realistic rendering like in Maya or at least Cinema 4D.

This seems like more of an architectural comment - but Rendering is best when exported from Revit into a specified rendering software.  Rendering is not the primary function of Revit.

- Drafting is not even synchronized with the modelling of the rest. It acts as a out of the blue separate place.

I have no idea what this comment is about.  Not synchronized with the modelling of the rest?  What does that even mean?  If you are referring to drafting views, then yes - these are not model elements and are separate from things that are actually modelled.  However, you can add annotation symbols and details within any families such that they show up within the model.  Drafting views are simply 2D views for details, etc. that you can put on sheets for ease.

- Ribbon bar couldn't even be copied from AutoCAD to make the workflow easy, and learning curve smoother

Is the idea just to copy AutoCAD?  At this point, AutoCAD should be copying Revit. 

- 3D modelling is a kind of a shambles with commands.

What does this comment mean?  What is in shambles?  You basically draw everything from a 2D view.

- Aligning in 3D at different corners other than 90 degrees doesn't align intuitively. (Of course there is a way around)

What are you referring to, duct, pipe, etc?  The align in Revit works very nicely - not sure what the issue is.

- There is still no lighting simulation, rendering or anything similar to DialUx even basic features. Other packages like Cinema 4D, 3DS Max or Maya had it by default from the earliest versions.

See elumtools.com - this is from AVG and does all the lighting calcs, simulations, etc.

- Offset is a misleading tool to use. (especially for the new learners)

It's been around now for 10 years and hasn't really changed - should be plenty of time to pick it up.  A Revit user would say the same thing about AutoCAD offset it they were using it for the first time.

- No actual electrical wiring like in AutoCAD Electrical. Not even basic.

There absolutely is wiring in Revit.  In fact, if you set it up properly you can have the wire sized automatically based on the connected rating of the circuit breaker and distance from panel, inclusive of voltage drop.  The wiring associated with circuits can also be automatically included in panel schedules and updated automatically when a load or CB size changes.

- Can't work with layers even in 2D.

What's a layer?  Revit is not AutoCAD.  In Revit there are model categories and annotation categories.  Unlike in CAD, everything fits into the proper category and you don't have issues on putting things on different 'layers'.

- Import/Export functions are sort of a hit and miss.

Need more explanation - what file types are you importing/exporting?  I've had no issues with IFC, CAD, and many other formats.

- Even experienced technicians spend 1 day to set the project in the beginning to use it.

They can't be very experienced - typical projects take less than 1 hour to setup with a proper template.  I can teach people to do this in half a day and they can do it in 1 hour.

- No decent animation, timeline..........

Revit is not the program for animations and timelines - plain and simple.  Revit is used for documentation of construction sets.

and I don't have time to proceed any more... 😉

And we had the best hardware in our office. Best Autodesk certified graphic cards and everything else.

Conclusion: I am not here to make anyone to do anything. Everyone has its own choice and path. And I am not accusing anyone.

I am just not paying £2,000.00 for the product which is barely finished in 50%. No matter how brilliant Autodesk propaganda is.

Until now we could perfectly design, calculate and engineer anything without REVIT, and the secret is OUR BRAINS. 😉

Revit can do nothing what AutoCAD or any other similar software can do. And by the way, you know that it doesn't check for mistakes.

We all still have to use our brains. 😉

I don't work for Autodesk - but to say it's not 50% of the way 'there' is questionable.  I didn't see any specific MEP examples above that included anything you can't do in Revit.  The only MEP related question was really about the electrical circuiting which is absolutely not an issue.

Message 8 of 23
MJD-LLE

"Revit can do nothing what AutoCAD or any other similar software can do."

Obviously just a frustrated beginner that can't use the software properly..

Message 9 of 23
leojk
in reply to: MJD-LLE

Aha,

That beginner you are talking about is an expert in

3D building game engines, human faces, animations and video special effects builder.

So, I would suggest knowing your opponent fully before saying something stupid like that. 😉

- If you love your REVIT for just generating documents, because your logistics department can't do it,

and for just a few minor functions (the other guy above you told me about his LOVE), fine.

You can have sex with your REVIT, I don't care.

But I don't pay £2,000.00 for software, which is only good at compiling reports.

This can be done for today even by free versions of software.

Anyway, SolidWorks is the champion for today. Everyone knows that, who is working with it.

No other package can still fully integrate what is done in SolidWorks.

I have yet to see REVIT being able to do what Solid Works does.

Anyway, everyone stays by his opinion supported by his experience & requirements.

Good luck with your REVIT. I can live without it (and hundreds of others Chartered Engineers)

😉

L

Message 10 of 23
ToanDN

Why would anyone compare Revit to Solid Works? Isn't that what Inventor is
for? Also, your skills sound awesome but do they have anything to do with
MEP?
Message 11 of 23
leojk
in reply to: ToanDN

Well... 😉

So far my skills have to do everything with few million budgeted commercial and residential projects in KIER.

😉

Message 12 of 23
ToanDN

Then you listed the wrong skills in your post.
Message 13 of 23
MJD-LLE

This is a Revit forum, no-one cares about your other "skills". Please stop embarrassing yourself, it's making people cringe.

Message 14 of 23
leojk

Someone finally used his brains and made an ELUMTOOL. I already feel happy.

Maybe my manager stops asking me what exactly they paid for £2,000.00.

Yes, those guys at least copied everything good and properly from DialUx version 4.

And they did it a few months back in 2016.

Although report & documentation tool sucks, unlike DialUx, but they are on the right track. ;))

That's a huge breakthrough already. It took them 10 years to realize that they need to implement lighting into their 21st century software REVIT.

I remember using this basic tool in 3DS Max back in 1999.

Wow, drinks to that.!!!!! Life is going to be easy from now on. ;))))))))))))))))

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Any software can do "magic" if you know what you are doing.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 16 of 23
leojk
in reply to: Anonymous

I already learnt all there is to learn in REVIT, 2 years back,

I am in 3D modelling & Animation field since 1996.

I am teaching this lousy software package, as I am Autocad, Revit, 3DS Max, Maya & Cinema 4D certified Instructor.

- I'm not here to prove anything to anyone. My skills give me £50.00 an hour of full-time permanent work.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

from Russia with love

As though not leojk decisions on the basis of Revit but in its words there is in addition to emotions a share of the truth, for example the graffic kernel to which 17 years obviously needs updating, but also in Revit as there was and there is not a huge number of technical decisions. Would already it was time to abandon the free parameterization and sew static parameters for specific tools.

Message 18 of 23
leojk

Hurray, Haleluja, finally, someone who understands what I am talking about.

I knew there are very good engineers, and Russian engineers are ones of the best.

That's what I am talking about. This is the guys who knows REVIT 110% and not like other 30%.

We need more people like you, man. Who spends time to really work & know software, and not showing off like all the rest here.

I think we need to create our team, and lobby AUTODESK for improving its software in the way we need it. 😉

By the way, I speak 3 languages, Russian is my second language. We can talk in russian. 😉

Leo

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: pieter5

I have a feeling this thread has been contaminated to the point that no one probably reads it anymore, but nonetheless there are some concerns that have been raised that I feel have validity:

- We really still shouldn't have to depend on AutoCAD for detailing. I know that some people get along well with the Revit tools, but Revit lacks many of the basic 2D editing tools of AutoCAD, hatch pattern control, control of overlapping lines, etc. It is at best harder to get the same quality in Revit.

- For the same reason I assume, I find it remarkable that we still can't import or convert AutoCAD drawings/details into Revit in a transparent way. Most firms have 100's of details, not to mention all manufacturer drawings only available in dwg. The only reason I can see for neglecting this basic need is that either Autodesk wants to maintain a larger demand/dependency for AutoCAD or it is too hard to develop this (which I doubt).

- Basic tools like roofs and stairs have been a discussion point among users for a decade, and the pace of development and improvement is very slow and sporadic. Complicated roofs seldom resolve with the built-in tools. Stairs forces you to make hardline choices between component and sketch mode, which means tools like for example thread numbering and path are no longer available. More complicated stairs in sketch mode sooner or later typically results in a 'can't create stair' error.

- FBX support between Revit and 3ds Max suddenly takes a step back between versions? It feels like Autodesk is changing their mind on recommended workflows and their priorities on a yearly basis. Or is quality control sloppy with no follow-up?

I'm all for making Revit a 'platform' and allow innovation from third party, but the basic needs must be met. Annotation tools lacks the sophistication and control one should be able to expect at this level. Autodesk is obviously a commercial company with primary responsibilities towards its share holders, but given the string of acquisitions and their close to monopolistic position in the market, it comes to a point where it feels like we as users should be able to demand more.

Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

leojk Complains about how 'architectural' revit is then asks for a bunch of highly architectural features. Your all over the map. Then list 'game builder' as a comparative skill ? What does building games have to do with BIM ? I can program in c++ but what's that got to do with revit lol. Especially with Dynamo now.

I've been teaching and using revit since it was acquired and it's by far the best solution available. I have all my templates and content in place and can whip off Architectural, structural, piping, electrical and mechanical drawings in 2d and 3d and collaborate with people anywhere on earth with 360 with very impressive non traditional auxiliary views that are a total value add to my customers.

Sounds to me like leojk needs to be schooled on how to use the software. This ain't power point buddy but that's ok. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. I suggest you try ArchiCAD

My REVIT 'Never' crashes. I suggest you invest in better hardware and some training. The only big complain I have is the Project Browser. I'd love to have a palette of favorite my tools and families that can be tailored to each project. Riffling through that browser is brutal.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report