Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Creation rotation problem

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
emodderman
847 Views, 6 Replies

Family Creation rotation problem

OK, I've got a question about the difference between 2 families being nested into the same top family. 

Both of the families are being placed on the plane of a ref line, then locked into plate to another ref like at 90deg from the first - as per another post on here - and this works for one and not for the other. one family is literally a save as of the other and then the geometry changed. 

BUT if i put in the WORKING one first, lock it into place, where it rotates just fine, and then i use the type selector to replace it with the NOT WORKING one, the second will rotate perfectly. but if i place the NOT WORKING one first, it refuses to rotate when locked.

AND if i get the NOT WORKING one working based on the previous method, when i reload it with any changes - not just geometry changes, just parameter value changes, or no changes whatsoever just a reload - the NOT WORKING one will break it's constraints when rotated. 

This one is driving me nuts. There is clearly something wrong with the NOT WORKING family, but i don't understand what it could be. 

Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
emodderman
in reply to: emodderman

file

Message 3 of 7
barthbradley

Are you talking about the Z Rotation? Isn't the Z Rotation Axis Parameter of the Nested Family supposed to be associated to the Z Rotation Parameter in the Host?  

...this is what I'm referring to:

Z Rotation.png

Message 4 of 7
emodderman

no! actually, that part works just fine when connected. i'm talking about the XY plane. 

Message 5 of 7
barthbradley

Okay. Still trying to understand the issue.  BTW: Uncheck "Always Vertical" in the Nested Work Plane-Based Families.  

Message 6 of 7
emodderman

OMG it was that **** checkbox. it was unchecked in WORKING and checked in NOT WORKING. i KNOW that rule too. i completed missed it. i tried so hard to not post this cause i was sure there was a stupidly easy answer. *sigh*

Message 7 of 7
barthbradley

HA!  **** happens. TGIF.  

Cheers! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report