Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family constraints breaking for unknown reason

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Jessicas
680 Views, 9 Replies

Family constraints breaking for unknown reason

Hi,

So a few months ago when I really started working with families I made the following Electrical Device family... It was working great (In my opinion). It was switching between all the different types and heights and everything. 

Fast forward a few months and some stuff happened and the project had to be put on hold in between and no one really did anything with the family. Now suddenly it doesn't work all the time. -_-  You can move between the 1,2,3 and 4 switch types fine and between the 1 switch and any other single device type but as soon as you wanna go from say a 3 gang light switch to a USB receptacle type the constraints break.

I've been fiddling with it for a while today and cannot seem to get it to work again. I've simplified it from when I noticed it was broken this morning (less types).

Can anyone tell me whats not working? I understand. I know i still have along way to go until I'm an expert with families. I truly appreciate the help you guys give! 

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jessicas
in reply to: Jessicas

Here's the original family that I noticed was broken today. 

Message 3 of 10
barthbradley

Funny - I just broke it and it works fine now. 

Edit: Actually, One step I did before breaking it was to PIN the Center Vertical Ref. Plane. Then when I changed the # of Devices, it gave me 2 constraint violations. I removed both and it is functioning fine now. I'll play with it some more to figure out why.

Message 4 of 10
Jessicas
in reply to: barthbradley

you have got to be joking.... -_-

I have been 'arguing' with that family for probably upwards or nearly 3 HOURS!!!

Is it really working? and the pieces are all moving together??

Message 5 of 10
barthbradley

Try it. I did it twice with the same results. Let me know your results. PIN First tho. Doesn't work otherwise.

edit: YEP. Just pin that Ref. Plane and your good to go. 

edit2: @Jessicas, why don't you parameterize the plate to change dimensions as you add/remove switches? 

Message 6 of 10
Jessicas

Which family did you work with the first one with (needs fixing) or the original Electrical Device?

Message 7 of 10
barthbradley

the "needs fixing" one. Just did it again too. Not working for you? PIN the center vertical Ref. Plane. There's 2 of them; one is not pinned originally. 

...is this flexing the way you like - assuming my fix works for you? Seems to me you'd want it to flex on-center. No? 

Message 8 of 10
Jessicas

@Anonymous wrote:

edit2: @Jessicas, why don't you parameterize the plate to change dimensions as you add/remove switches? 

It does.... or it should. When switching between 1 switch and 2 switches ect. The face plate is supposed to stretch with it. Everytime it breaks i get the faceplate not moving correctly.

I'll attach a few screenshots of the issue i'm seeing.

Again i only see an issue when i move from say the USB recept (or other single item below the switch types) to a multi switch type.

Going from single switch to multi switch works and single switch to other single devices works. 

Only 2,3,4 switch types to pretty much any other type doesnt work.

Message 9 of 10
barthbradley

Yes, I see the family needs some work. I'll play with it in a bit and post later, unless someone beats me to the punch. 

Message 10 of 10
Jessicas

@barthbradley thanks for looking into it. Since its still scheduling I can't hold off on the actual work until it looks correct. If you can fix it I'd be truly grateful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators