Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend insulation beyond structure boundary

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
samantha_vuk
834 Views, 15 Replies

Extend insulation beyond structure boundary

Hi everybody!

I'm starting to learn Revit on a simple house project.

I'm trying to extend the bottom insulation of the floor beyond the boundary of the floor structure, so it meets with the outer (vertical) insulation of the wall. Is it possible?  I attached an image of what I want to do, for better understanding.

Thank You!

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
PhilvK
in reply to: samantha_vuk

They should join if they have the same layer priority level.

Message 3 of 16

you can try to extend the wall layers instead...

Select Wall>Edit Type>TypeParameters>Construction>Structure>Edit- here in View -Section :Modify Type -then click Modify and select the Layers you want to extend and Unlock it (them)....

Revit_5NfHraR30E.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
barthbradley

Why don't you edit the floor and change the extents of boundary then?  

Message 5 of 16
PhilvK
in reply to: barthbradley

My mistake in my reply - I thought the sketch showed walls in plan.

Message 6 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: PhilvK

You're still correct, @PhilvK 

But, actually I see it like @constantin.stroescu, but NOT unlocking and extending Floor. Unlocking and extending wall finish layer(s) instead. Also looks like OP may need to overlap the Floor/Wall and use Join Geometry to remove volume at the union.  

@samantha_vuk : Post your file here so we can provide solutions instead of guesses. 

Message 7 of 16
ridantuo

Edit Type > Structure (Edit) > Layers need to be set up correctly. [1] joins to [1], [2] to [2], etc. when join or join geometry (example join wall to floor with join geometry and Switch Join Order if needed) is used. So as long as they are correct it should join properly.

ridantuo_1-1707376930708.pngridantuo_0-1707376881056.png

PICNIC: Problem In Chair Not In Computer.
Around 90% of issues can be explained by human error instead of an actual error.
Message 8 of 16
samantha_vuk

I have both insulation priority 3, but they do not join.

Message 9 of 16

I already extended part of the wall insulation into the terrain. I wanted to extend the bottom floor insulation, because this is how the layering will be made on the construction site. 

Message 10 of 16
samantha_vuk

I tried, and this is what I got. Still not working propperly.

Screenshot_5.jpg

Message 11 of 16
samantha_vuk

I attached the Rvt file. Thanks for the help and ideas.

Message 12 of 16
blank...

Two solutions.

First is to just extend the wall insulation by how much you need it to meet the one under the slab, in this case 15cm. They're the same material and will clean up automatically.

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

To get what you want (insulation under the slab to go to the wall exterior line), you need to edit the floor footprint and get it all the way out.

W3.jpg

Then you'll end up with this mess:

W4.jpg

To fix that you need to use the cut command and "cut" the wall from the floor.

W5.jpg

The drawback of this approach is that you'll have to cut them manually on every single wall if you want accurate material takeoff. Works for really small projects, a nightmare for big ones.

That's why I simply create them as separate floors. Construction floor as one floor, finish layers another floor, gravel (or in your case insulation) under the slab, third floor...

Pozdrav 🙂

Message 13 of 16
samantha_vuk

That is actually the best idea so far. I lost a few hours on this.

Until a better solution arises, I'm going to stick with your double floor idea.

Hvala!

Message 14 of 16
samantha_vuk
in reply to: blank...

@blank... Since the same thing happens in the joining of the ceiling to wall materials of the loggia, would you use the same approach with the double floor?

Screenshot_7.jpg

Message 15 of 16
blank...

@samantha_vuk wrote:

@blank... Since the same thing happens in the joining of the ceiling to wall materials of the loggia, would you use the same approach with the double floor? 

Yes. I actually use different floor for all ceiling plaster types. I place a construction floor as one floor (monta ili AB), another floor on top of it for finish layers, and another floor below it as a ceiling plaster.

I do it this way because you can have several different types of ceiling plaster on one floor (inside, outside, under loggias and balconies which are unheated, under rooms which are heated...), and this is the simplest "foolproof" workflow.

Here is an example exactly of a loggia on a project I'm working right now.

P1.png

P2.png

P3.png

P4.png

Message 16 of 16
blank...

@samantha_vuk 

Btw. you can read more about floors / walls in this thread. I was also exploring some other, smarter, faster and simpler way of doing it, but unfortunately considering Revit hierarchy for them, there doesn't seem to be one for our part of the world.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/looking-for-the-best-approach-for-modeling-f...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report