Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Families From Inventor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
skyeg321
357 Views, 5 Replies

Exporting Families From Inventor

I tried to make some exterior wall lights in Inventor to bring into Revit and ran into a few pitfalls. Wondering if anybody has a good way to do this. See picture attached. The problem is when I try to create a material parameter for the light body in Revit. When I tried to do a partial explode in Revit it deletes some of the complex geometry. This happens whether the light is a dwg I export from inventor or an .rfa I export with the BIM exporter. My workaround was to change Revit's generic material to the color I wanted the light to be but then I had to change so much other stuff in the model it was very time consuming. I would like to figure this process out because I'd rather model things like this in Inventor.

Wall Light.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: skyeg321

it's not that difficult of a family to model in Revit. Probably faster than authoring and posting this thread,   Just saying.  

Message 3 of 6
barthbradley

2Light.png

FYI: One model element is shown above - created via the Revolve Tool in literally seconds.  Think what you could create in minutes.  

Message 4 of 6
skyeg321
in reply to: barthbradley

Maybe. If you type slow. I have a lot of other things I need to do as well.

Message 5 of 6
barthbradley

let's see what you're bringing into Revit.  Post it here.  

Message 6 of 6
Secttor
in reply to: barthbradley

Hi @skyeg321 

That usually happens (explode with unsatisfying results) because you have segments with lengts below 0.8 which are unsupported in Revit.  It doesn't matter the format you export .sat/dwg/.step..results will be the same.

1. So I would try to make sure this rule is not violated by adjusting geometry in Inventor.

2. Try as much as possible to create everything in Revit

Revit MEP - Electrical Certified Professional
Revit MEP - Mechanical Certified Professional

Draftworks.wordpress.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report