Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export IFC of single component in a model

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1533 Views, 7 Replies

Export IFC of single component in a model

Hi everyone, can Revit export the IFC file of single component in a model? For example, there is a model comprised of 4 columns, 3 beams, and 1 slab, can Revit export the corresponding 4 column IFCs, 3 beam IFCs, and 1 slab IFC (i.e., 8 component IFC files in total, not a model IFC file). Thank you!

Labels (4)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

i just tried even though you hide those elements you don't want to see in VG. no, what you see what you get. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 8
indiana_j0nes

@ennujozlagam This is very much possible.. makes sense to have similar component categories as a single IFC. Say for example when using Clash-Detection! so instead of making search filters for each of the components and making sets of them, one can directly use the different IFC models to clash against each other. (I am talking in regard to openBIM environment).

@Anonymous I hope you have the latest version of the IFC exporter for revit?

Here are the links if you don't. There have been massive improvements for IFC Exporter.

v2019: 19.4.1

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=1763588736399554049&appLang=en&os=Win64

v2020: 20.2.1

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=8986482933300179260&appLang=en&os=Win64

v2021: 21.1.0

Once you have the latest IFC Exporter installed.. Create 3D-Views having only the Components you would like that specific IFC to contain.
IFC-AddCon.png
Now keep one of the 3D views active and und Click Modify Setup on your IFC Export Dialog to access the additional settings.. As seen in the attached image, under Additional Content you have the possibility to export only elements visible in that particular active 3D view.

Hope this answers your question.

If you would like to know more about what each of these additional settings in the IFC Exporter relates to here is a Version specific (2021) Information: (attached png)

here is the Official Release notes for IFC Exporters if you would like to follow: https://github.com/Autodesk/revit-ifc/releases

Kunal Tuljaram Gaidhankar

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: indiana_j0nes

Thanks! But this means I need to make the element visible in the 3D view each time when I want to export it, that would be very time-consuming for a model with hundreds elements, right? I am wondering if there is a way to export the elements separately faster or even with one-click? 

Message 5 of 8
ennujozlagam

you wrote:

Thanks! But this means I need to make the element visible in the 3D view each time when I want to export it, that would be very time-consuming for a model with hundreds elements, right? I am wondering if there is a way to export the elements separately faster or even with one-click?

you can create a view template and off all those elements you don't want to export and apply the view template to the views you want to hide them. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 6 of 8

hi again, as @ennujozlagam mentioned, view templates can make your job easier.

But I am curious, why would like to have each wall or each slab as a separate IFC-file?

normally it makes sense to have specific categories as a separate IFC like for example all slabs and all walls as two separate IFCs perhaps?

Or do you have a special requirement? If you could elaborate on your usage scenario, we can help you better with our ideas.

Cheers, K

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
indiana_j0nes

for a task which requires hundreds of elements to be exported as separate IFC file, I would automate it by building a dynamo script.

https://forum.dynamobim.com/

hit the dynamo forums for help in this regard.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: indiana_j0nes

Thank you for your suggestion @ennujozlagam @indiana_j0nes . Actually my requirement is that, I am trying to classify each element into a specific cost item for Bill of Quantity. So I want to get the element IFC files separately as the input of the classification model (Maybe extract the text information of the single element IFC to classify it). Do you have further ideas to achieve it? Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report