Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explode imported object with greater than 10k elements?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bchaney0927
5888 Views, 8 Replies

Explode imported object with greater than 10k elements?

Is there any way I could be able to explode imported objects (exa: .dwg) with more than 10,000 elements?  This would be useful.  An example scenario being when I would like to bring things from a .dwg from a consultant but don't need everything.  I like to make detail or generic model families to use as backgrounds in various situations, like when looking at a kitchen or service counter and designing casework.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people saying that I'm doing it wrong blah blah blah.   I just want to know if there is a way or if there will ever be a way to explode something with say... 15,738 elements.  

Revit LT 2019

Thanks,

Bennett

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: bchaney0927

@bchaney0927 wrote:

Is there any way I could be able to explode imported objects (exa: .dwg) with more than 10,000 elements?  This would be useful.  An example scenario being when I would like to bring things from a .dwg from a consultant but don't need everything.  I like to make detail or generic model families to use as backgrounds in various situations, like when looking at a kitchen or service counter and designing casework.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people saying that I'm doing it wrong blah blah blah.   I just want to know if there is a way or if there will ever be a way to explode something with say... 15,738 elements.  

Revit LT 2019

Thanks,

Bennett

I strongly advise against exploding any imported DWG.  If you need to clean it up then do it in AutoCAD.  Last but not least, it's better link them than import them.

Message 3 of 9
barthbradley

Why not just strip down the CAD file and import what you need?  Also, if you are hell-bent on Exploding the CAD in Revit, I would strongly urge that you "clean up" the CAD file before doing so. 

Message 4 of 9
bchaney0927

I have been trying to clean things up, most often with Illustrator.  So far, I've just been able to get it down to ~15k.  

I do not have AutoCAD.  

Keep in mind that this is imports into families which are then placed in the .rvt file.  I do understand the chaos that could happen if exploding CAD in the RVT.  

So, the question once again: Is there a way to explode a .dwg with >10k elements?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
ToanDN

Break it down to several drawings and import them one by one.

Message 6 of 9
barthbradley

Why not just strip down the CAD file in AI and export to AutoCAD what you need to import into Revit?  

Message 7 of 9
bchaney0927
in reply to: ToanDN

Breaking it into separate .dwg files... 

That might be what I'll have to do, but it would be much easier to do it in Revit than go back and forth between different programs. . .    One tricky part for that would be re-scaling things when necessary.

Message 8 of 9
barthbradley

@bchaney0927 wrote:

That might be what I'll have to do, but it would be much easier to do it in Revit than go back and forth between different programs. . .    

Oh, I think that will be the least of your worries after exploding the drawings into 15,000 individual elements inside your Revit project.  

Just saying...

...I know. Blah, Blah, Blah.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
FAIR59

You can break down a dwg by layer(s) on importing. Choose  Layers/Levels: [Specify]

importDWG.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators