Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing group

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
htews
940 Views, 14 Replies

editing group

correct me if i'm wrong but if you edit a group and an element is no longer needed, best practice is to Remove the item from the group first and then deleting it.  if an object is deleted, it will cause issues with other groups of the same name causing revit to think that the object has been excluded and unable to restore.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: htews

...also, never introduce a new element into the Project while inside Group Edit Mode.  That is, don't load a new family, create a new family Type, or Model In-Place a new element while in Editing Mode.   Always ADD or REMOVE existing elements.  

Message 3 of 15
htews
in reply to: barthbradley

thats probably where I went wrong.  I added sweeps (wall base trims) while in group edit mode.  Then at some point in time, I deleted a said sweep in group edit mode.

said sweep is still visible when the group is selected (ghosted).

wall base ghost.pngwall base visible.png

any possible to remove or bring it back WITHOUT ungrouping?

Message 4 of 15
ToanDN

A rule of thumb when working with groups/assemblies is create new elements outside of the group/assembly, then edit the group/assembly and use Add button.
Message 5 of 15
barthbradley

Why don't you create a new Wall Type with an integrated sweep, and then Edit Group to swap out Wall Types?   

...just to clarify, are you just wanting to add a Wall Sweep to a Wall inside Group Edit Mode.  That shouldn't be problematic.  Are you saying it is?   

Message 6 of 15
htews

@barthbradley wrote:

Why don't you create a new Wall Type with an integrated sweep, and then Edit Group to swap out Wall Types?   

...just to clarify, are you just wanting to add a Wall Sweep to a Wall inside Group Edit Mode.  That shouldn't be problematic.  Are you saying it is?   

right now, just want to remove the ghost sweep.  

next time, I will add the sweep and then bring it into the group.

Message 7 of 15
htews

OK.  I added light fixtures to the RCP plan (not in a group).  Once I have them in the correction location, I then attempt to add them to a group.  I ONLY selected the light fixtures and now I'm getting 4 warnings about a specialty equipment that is not even visible in the plan.  talks about "identical instances....."

Message 8 of 15
ToanDN

Is your light fixture hosted? Is the host part of the group?
Message 9 of 15
barthbradley

Maybe you grabbed a sprinkler or something when you window-selected the lights to group?  

...perhaps I'm misunderstanding @htews. Are you saying this is related to the ghost sweep issue you talked about before? 

Message 10 of 15
htews

@ToanDN yes, all the light fixtures are ceiling hosted. once I have them "centered", I then edited the group and Added them by selecting each fixture ( @barthbradley ).  note that the specialty equipment that I got the warnings on were shelf and rod family.

@barthbradley   no.  just kept it under the group editing errors, etc.

***edit***  noticed that when I went back to look at the Shelf and Rod family, they were placed on the face of the wall.  I removed them and added them back as placement:  Work Plane.  that fixed the error/warnings.

Message 11 of 15
ToanDN

That confuses the heck out of me.  Were you saying that adding new light to the group gave warnings about some shelf and rod?  Does add anything to the group give same warnings?  It seems like the warnings are always there, they just sit tight and wait for you modifying the group to pop up.

Message 12 of 15
htews
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:

That confuses the heck out of me.  Were you saying that adding new light to the group gave warnings about some shelf and rod?  Does add anything to the group give same warnings?  It seems like the warnings are always there, they just sit tight and wait for you modifying the group to pop up.

confused me too.  yes.  no.  who knows.

got another question with regards to editing groups.  when editing a group, if all the similar groups are locked, does this affect items being added/remove and/or moved around?

Message 13 of 15
ToanDN

How do you lock groups? Do you mean pin them?
Message 14 of 15
htews
in reply to: ToanDN

sorry, yes pin them.

Message 15 of 15
ToanDN

Pinning groups has no effects on elements inside the groups.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report