Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demolition Plan

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
hliS658H
13745 Views, 18 Replies

Demolition Plan

Our office uses the existing floor plan to show demolished walls. But in Revit, you have to set the view at new construction phase to display the walls that are demolished in dashed lines and filled in solid color. So is it possible to show demolished walls in existing floor plan? At least is it possible to create a filter in visibility / graphic overrides for the existing floor plan view, that can filter all the existing walls to be demolished in the future?  When I tried to set the rules, I didn't see the phase of the wall or demolition  are listed there as a choice.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
WEC17
in reply to: hliS658H

All you need to do is set up phases.  Manage/phases.  Also in you properties/phasing setup to show all.  Once you draw the wall all you need to do go to modify look for the hammer icon and click on the wall and it will change to the demo.

Message 3 of 19
hliS658H
in reply to: WEC17

The existing walls won't be demolished until the new construction phase. So when the plan view is set existing phase, you can't demolish the wall.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

You'll need to create 2 different floor plan views.  The phase for both views will need to be "New Construction".   In the existing/demo floor plan, set the phase filter to "Show Previous + Demo".  In your standard floor plan, set the phase filter to "Show Previous + New".  

The floor plan views can be named and sorted on the sheets however you like.  

Message 5 of 19
WEC17

All you nee d to do  is duplicate your view and them just change your phasing in each plan.

Message 6 of 19
hliS658H

Not sure if my question is understood.  The existing floor plan has room A, room B, room C with no walls to be demolished. In new construction plan, room A , B, C  will be used for different purposes. so they will be tagged as room E, F, G respectively.  My office wants to use the existing floor plan to show demolished walls, which means they want to see room A, B, C  labeled there and also see the demolished walls. In order to see the existing rooms, I have to set the plan view phase as existing. However, in Revit, in order to show demolished walls, you have to set the phase of the plan view as new construction, but once I set the phase as new construction, the rooms changed to E, F, G. So I have to hide the room tag E, F, G and manually put text for each room A, B, C.   I was thinking if there is a way to filter all the existing walls that are to be demolished in new construction and graphically override the setting and show them in dashed lines instead of continuous lines.

Message 7 of 19
WEC17

1. Draw all your wall fist. 
  2. Set the wall that are exist. 
  3. Set you wall to be demo. w/ the hammer toll.
  4. in you phasing/phase filter: set up to Show previous/demo
Message 8 of 19
WEC17

here is an pic

Message 9 of 19
ToanDN

My understanding is that you concern about the new rooms and tags will be showing on the demolition floor plan if you set the view's phase status to new construction and phase filter to show existing + demo.  Our workaround is to turn off rooms in the demolition plan, create a view under existing phase with only rooms and room tags, and overlay them on sheet.

Message 10 of 19
RDAOU

@hliS658H 

In Revit 2022 they added Phase Created and Phase Demolished to View Filters parameters...You can use these to create the view you are looking for without using the Phase Filter...set the view to existing and follow steps in the GIF below

1. I set view to existing (for all walls and rooms at Existing stage)
  2. You can set phase Filter to None
  3. Filtered and overriden the walls which will be demolished in new construction
  4. I used coarse view considering that in this mode all existing walls would be gray with a cross hatch as per my settings...alternatively you can apply a filter to these too if you need Medium or Fine display

In earlier Revit versions, you can add a project parameter (say: "View Filter - Demo") to the Walls and use that to do the same...you can either fill manually OR use dynamo to fill the values up for you

Phase view filter.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 19
hliS658H
in reply to: RDAOU

Unfortunately I am using Revit 2021.  I saw when you set filter rules, you first choose mark, then phase demolished. I don't have that choices on the list. Do you mean I can create project parameter like that in 2021 version? I am not using dynamo either. Is it possible? If it involves lots of work, probably, it won't be practical for me at this moment.

Message 12 of 19
hliS658H
in reply to: ToanDN

I tried this overlapping two views' method - not perfect but it would avoid the potential mistakes happening during manually hiding room tags then typing in room names with text tool. If I can't find a better way, then I will settle with this. Thanks!

Message 13 of 19
RDAOU

@hliS658H 

in 2021 you create project parameter (Text / Instance) and assign them to Walls...How much work depends on the number of walls you have demolished...name the parameters as follows and use these Project Parameters to filter

Filter - Phase Created

Filter - Phase Demolished

If you believe this would solve the issue ... The dynamo graph is very simple...I can help you put it together and all you need is to run it to set Phase values in the walls.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 14 of 19
hliS658H

I learned some dynamo through tutorial video, but never really used it in project. Perhaps this will be a good chance.  If you can give me some instructions, that would be great.  I will review the tutorial first, perhaps.  😀

Message 15 of 19
BfruehlingWDRZ7

Hello, 
I saw this was an issue in 2010, and then searched filtered by year to find modern work arounds. Itlooks like this will continue to be the way to do room names on Demo plans, at least until we switch to revit 2022.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 19
jmhanbyV4TDM

I created a workset called Existing and put everything that is going to be demolished in that workset, then used filters to make that workset show as demolished.  We are gutting the whole top floor and the interior of the basement so this worked for this project.  I put the foundation walls on a different workset.  You could do the same just label the workset as Demolition.

Message 17 of 19
manso86

Hi  @RDAOU 

I am quite new to dynamo, would you be able to develop the 'dynamo way' of doing it?

Regards,

J

Message 18 of 19
ToanDN
in reply to: manso86

Which Revit version are you using?

Message 19 of 19
manso86

hello @ToanDN 

I can use 2019, 2021 and 2023 at work. 2024 at home

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report