Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUT ROOF / ROOF JOIN

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
HaleyAnneJLP
1643 Views, 8 Replies

CUT ROOF / ROOF JOIN

Hi!
I'm having a little trouble getting these different roofs to join correctly. I'm modeling pre-plans. See the picture, I need to remove the two roof corners that are visible through the ceiling on the porch, without that shift in the roof's alignment/flat plane. What's the best way to do this?
Thanks so much!

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
RDAOU
in reply to: HaleyAnneJLP

@HaleyAnneJLP 

Did you try Opening By Face? 

If you would attach the file for a closer look, maybe there is a better way to model the whole roof

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 9
HaleyAnneJLP

Hi! Thank you, yes I did.  That dip in the ridgeline resulted from trying by opening by face and trying by adjusting the footprint. 

Message 4 of 9
HaleyAnneJLP
in reply to: RDAOU

Hi again!
I ended up getting near the desired outcome with a combination of roof cuts.
1) The first cut was a vertical opening that showed an error saying that it didn't cute anything but it allowed the wall to join to the roof.
2) A dormer cut to keep the angle of the roof pitch.
3) Edited the footprint of the perpendicular roof since the other join was lost.
It worked out okay - just had to click around for a bit. Any other tips are always appreciated!
Thank you!

Message 5 of 9
HaleyAnneJLP

PIC 3, 4, 5.

Message 6 of 9
RDAOU

@HaleyAnneJLP 

Sorry, can't help you much without having to recreate the roof or you attaching the file. But you seem to have everything under control

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 9
HaleyAnneJLP
in reply to: RDAOU

Yeah, I think I just needed to work through it more - it's working out now.
Thank you!
Message 8 of 9
barthbradley

@HaleyAnneJLP wrote:

Any other tips are always appreciated!

Is this pretty close to your condition?

Roofs920-1.pngRoofs920-2.png

Roofs920-3.png

4 roofs total  - 2 done  with Roof by Footprint using rectangular sketch boundaries, and 2 done with Roof by Extrusion using one sketch line each.  Join Roof and Dormer Opening tools created all the angles/openings.  Join Geometry tool hid the visible edge between coplanar roofs.  

Message 9 of 9
HaleyAnneJLP
in reply to: barthbradley

That is also super helpful. Yeah, I've just come to the conclusion that I had to poke around it for a while. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report