Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom window family with wall part

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
kartoflavour
2485 Views, 8 Replies

Custom window family with wall part

Could anyone help me with this. I made a custom family window with a slant wall. It works great except that in the plan view the window family is clearly disconected from the outside wall. Is there anyway to connect these two elements properly?

I tried to build this slant with the void in family editor but it cuts out the wall and every other part of the window (sills etc.).  I would appreciate you help. 

Labels (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: kartoflavour

Why don't you model it the way they will build it? That is, the window contractor isn't going to frame the slanted wall.   The window contractor is just going to place the window in the rough opening that has already been framed.  

...attached RVT may be helpful to you.

Message 3 of 9
PijPiwo

I’m a big fan of modeling as it will be built as well, but it this case, I would go with a slanted void opening in the window family, just to avoid double work of inserting a cut and a window.

Do not create a part of wall in your window family – window object and a void opening only. To prevent a void from cutting everything, create a void as a solid object first, isolate it in the view along with a host wall. Turn your solid into a void (in properties), then cut the wall and restore visibility of all other items previously hidden.

Pozdro!

Message 4 of 9
barthbradley

See attached parametric Window-Wall Opening with adjustable right and left angles at jambs -- and adjustable cut depth.  

AWWO.pngAWWO2.png

Message 5 of 9
kartoflavour
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you @barthbradley and @PijPiwo for answering my question and the file. I am using revit 2016, so I am not able to open it. 

Our wall is 42,5cm porotherm block. The slanted part will be out of 24 cm porotherm and styropor insulation as a slant. The opening would be made just for the window frame but the sill would be lengthened to the edge of the slant.

We have same 200 windows in the project, to model each and every in the plan would be a nightmare, and to be honest I don't know any method to create a wall using a wall tool with a slant as given. I thought there is a way to model is as a component maybe?

I will go through your suggestions but I don't know if I really understand what you mean by void as a solid.

I tried for few hours to cut of this part with the void but I am getting this message first: "the void is to thin" and then "openings and cuts not possible in the same basic component". Which shows up as an orange line on the picture. The problem disappears only when I am deleting the opening but the same time the void cuts trough my sill. 

And the thing is I am editing the window family I have not build it from scratch as it has to many parameters that are necessary for the project. And my new parameters are very simple the width of the slant is always 70cm and the high same as a window high. 

Thank you for your help. 

Message 6 of 9
kartoflavour
in reply to: PijPiwo

@PijPiwo this part with isolating other part I don't really understand. The step by step way would be great. Thank you.

Message 7 of 9

You will get what you want if you delete "Opening" element from the window family, and create void family of this shape (void has shape drawn in the plan, with interior and exterior shape lines constrained to family wall face (not reference plane)):

void.PNG

Test the family in the attachment in non-critical project first.

windows.PNG

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

My blog: www.engipedia.com
Try my Revit add-ins: Autodesk App Store
Message 8 of 9

@Mirko.Jurcevic Thank you thousand times!!! I tried to use a void instead but it cut out all the window parts (frames and sills) and I couldn't  isolate it properly. It would be great if you could share a video how you did that. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN

Edit teh family, use uncut geometry first to make the void not cutting the
window, then use cut geometry to cut the host wall with the void.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators