Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Section Best Practices

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jfjacques
444 Views, 2 Replies

Cross Section Best Practices

I keep running into this issue over and over. It is likely just another massive revit deficiency, but hopefully, its mistake on my end. 

In the image below I want my brick to move all the way up to just below my roof finish, I want my roof insulation to go all the way to the  vertical XPS. (It will be hidden by the 2x12). I want the vertical gypsum to end at the joists and so on... I have no way to control the join sufficiently, with Switch Join, Editing Wall types, or by editing the roof profile. 

jfjacques_0-1606503572274.png

First off, in the image above, its either or when it comes to which wall is in front. What should be happening, is that I the wall and the roof should have their materials mixing and matching based on their wall material functions (structure, finish etc...) This is not happening. Why? 

Secondly, even if this was behaving as expected, I would still not have enough control to achieve the join that occurs in practice. I would have even less control when I take into account the required behavior of materials at other joins.  Parts doesn't work for various reasons, notably the fact that parts are translucent and some would have to go in front while other behind and I don't have that control. 

How can I solve this join. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
martijn_pater
in reply to: jfjacques

Could you show the roof sketch, wall and roof properties? Or share (part of) the file.

Message 3 of 3
jfjacques
in reply to: martijn_pater

Here is the wall intersection

As a last resort I can just draw over them with filled regions, but I find this breaks very easily and could be an issue later in the schedules.

I know I can edit the wall assembly section in the edit assembly dialogue, but this wouldn't work on two counts 

1- It's painful to do this. This is a tool that needs to be modified. 

2- It would require making extra walls for every roof join type.

Parts also don't work: 

1-Wall tags would get hidden,  

2-The tags for other items that were broken into parts would get hidden

3- There's no way to control which element is shown as a part or original, if parts gets turned on. 

4- Turning on both parts and the original makes a mess and requires a lot of clean-up and would still have hidden tags - but solves 3.

5- Wall Parts are transparent in section - don't know why.

6- The roof cannot be broken into parts.

7- Walls still need to be joined to appear joined in the original view which causes issues due to 5 and 6. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report