Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating voids in extrusions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1360 Views, 6 Replies

Creating voids in extrusions

I am new to Revit and still learning how to create extrusions.  I have constructed a church and a steeple separate from the roof.  I want to cut out a triangular section so that I can place it on a gable roof.  I can't figure out how to do it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
L.Maas

You do not have to make a void. If you make the extrusion from the 'front' side a void is not needed

Extrusion.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

I can't figure out how to do an extrusion in elevation view in Revit.  I'm not finding the logic of Revit.  This seems so much easier in Autocad, but I have to learn this program.  

Message 5 of 7
L.Maas

-Go to an elevation view (e.g Front, Left, Right, Back)

-Start your Extrusion

Extrusion.png

Revit is completely different from Autocad. Because it is so different, it might be good to start with a course (classes, video course or book).

It will get you up to speed with at least the basics. Than slowly everything starts to fall in place because the concepts become clear.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 7
RDAOU

@Anonymous First off please do not forget to accept solution when your question is answered. This will mark this thread with a tick which would help other forum members find answers easier when they have a similar query.

What @L.Maas (Louis) meant is to model the base using elevation. PS: You need to be using "Generic Models" category similar to the screencast posted by @constantin.stroescu. If you took off by using the Category/Family "Mass", you will not have the extrusion option available. I think thats why it got a little bit confusing.

To do that you need to 

1.  go to floor plan and set a reference plane along the elevation

2. Give the ref Plane a name in in the Properties dialog (Just for ease of reference later example: WPEX1)

3. Start Model-in-Place command

4. Select Generic Models >> ok >> ok

5. Click Set Work Plane >>> Select the "Reference Plane: WPEX1" from the drop down menu

6. Go to Elevation >> Click Extrusion >> Model the rest as shown in screencast

See Screen Cast Below:

I'm just elaborating Credits go to @L.Maas and @constantin.stroescu

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 7
carolagryma
in reply to: RDAOU

I just wanted say thank you so much for explaining the non-intuitive step that I need to draw a reference plane that wil allow me to make an extrusion in elevation. It is odd though that it wont let you do it in elevation in an easier way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report