Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating True North arrow showing angle from North

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Sahay_R
6875 Views, 7 Replies

Creating True North arrow showing angle from North

Good afternoon,

I have been building a True North arrow, with rotation parameters. Currently I have it set where the tag displays the angle going East from Project North (up). I had tried to add it to the View Title with the objective of changing the arrow rotation as needed, but that didn't work. So now my plan is to just load the arrow to my template where it can be used as needed especially by the Landscape guys.

13.png

My concern is the True North angles that are going West. Would it be acceptable to display True North values between 0-360? If not, would there be a formula on the lines of If Rotation > 180, then Label Value = 360 - Rotation? Would I need another Label which displays the angle value as W? As you can see, my current Label has a suffix of E, so it displays all angle as going East. Should I get rid of the suffix?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rudi.roux
in reply to: Sahay_R

Hi @Sahay_R

Have a look at THIS POST which served as a solution for another community member regarding "Smart North Arrows"...

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 3 of 8
Sahay_R
in reply to: rudi.roux

Uuuhhhh Rudi - that post was for this very same problem! Now I am trying to take this arrow beyond that level.....

Smiley Very Happy

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 4 of 8
ToanDN

Can you upload the family?

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
rudi.roux

hahahaha... Smiley LOL Apologies, only noticed it now. It's a bit late now (hence my mess-up), but I'll have a look tomorrow. Share the family? 

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 6 of 8
RDAOU

@Sahay_R

I didnt understand what the question is lol ... if it is acceptable to display angel from true north 270 degrees? I would say yes there is nothing which stands against that...

If you want to roung it always to an angle between 0 and 180 it is also possible using an intermediate parameter which controls the angle using an if statement; example... Angle B = if(Angle A>180, 380 - Angle A, Angle A)

But I personally dont see any issues with an angle 227! well as long as the tag won't end up dispalying 3477 degrees lol ie: 227

PS: And btw, project north is the simplest thing which should come to ones mind and it shouldn't really be complicated and automated or smart or whatever!! don't make your life too hard on a generic annotation tag 🙂

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 8
Sahay_R
in reply to: rudi.roux

No problems, Rudi!

Absolutely, gentlemen!

Once again, it could go without displaying the angles, but why not push it a little further? LOL!!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 8 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

I think that showing the angle in the North symbol is not necessary. The method that I described in that other post, about copy-pasting the value of the angle from the Project Base Point into the Rotation angle of the North Symbol family provides an accurate rotation for the arrow in the symbol, which can be saved in the type that is used in floor plan views. For the site plan, you could create another type, with the rotation angle as zero.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report