Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating toilet partition family

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
Sahay_R
8298 Views, 40 Replies

Creating toilet partition family

I've hit a wall with this partition family. There are two nested families - one for ADA and another for Standard stalls. I am trying to set up a parametric array where if ADA Stall = true, then the Standard Stalls will come after, if ADA Stall - false, then the Standard Stall array starts at the beginning of the ADA Stall. Help!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
Sahay_R
in reply to: chrisplyler

@chrisplyler - I hate you. HOW did you come up with that bee-yootiful view? And I see it AFTER I gave @ToanDN the solution. 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 22 of 41
barthbradley

@chrisplyler wrote:

Plumbing Fixtures is another one of the un-cut-able categories. 

Yeah, I realized that after I hit "post". But, Toan immediately picked up on the direction I was going. I'm licking my wounds now. 

Message 23 of 41
chrisplyler
in reply to: Sahay_R

LOL it's just a regular old Section view, Shaded mode with Shadows and adjusted Lighting settings.

You know... I have seen the occasional thread with more than one post selected as Solution.

The most important lessons to be had from this thread are:

1. Manufacturers - Stop putting a bunch of crap Detail Items into your families. Especially, as is the case here, you've already modeled normal solids that do the job. The doors of this Bradley family show up just fine on their own. You don't also need to put a Masking Region over them. Stop being stupid.

2. Autodesk - Stop treating certain family categories differently than others. Make them all cut-able, and add a 'cut-able' selection box column into the Object Styles and Visibility Graphics tables and the Override Graphics dialogs. Make them all equally visible above the cut plane and below the bottom plane, and add a 'visible outside' selection box column to the Object Styles and Visibility Graphics tables and the Override Graphics dialogs. Make everything behave same by default and let the users pick what exceptions they want.

Message 24 of 41
Sahay_R

Can I get idiot-proof instructions on how you did it, @chrisplyler?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 25 of 41
barthbradley

@Sahay_R: You can make the  Bradley families appear the same way in cut views with a few changes to the family: recategorize, delete Detail Items, and change the Visibility and Graphics Display of all the model elements to be visible in all views and detail levels. 

Message 26 of 41
Sahay_R
in reply to: barthbradley

I need to get back to this lovely problem reinforced by sleep, carbs and caffeine. Peace.

In the meantime, please feel free to add your strident voices to mine - 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/please-make-specialty-equipment-families-cuttable/idi-p/7...

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 27 of 41

@Anonymous wrote:

...so, why not categorize as "Plumbing Fixtures"? 

That would make the toilet partition family appear in the plumbing fixtures schedule. Not good. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 28 of 41

@Alfredo_Medina : Ouch! And the hits just keep on coming. @chrisplyler has already reprimanded me for making this suggestion because Plumbing Fixtures are not cuttable either, which is the direction I was going. Unfortunately, @ToanDN beat me to a correction before I could make it myself.

Still, I don’t follow you, Alfredo: it’s going to be categorized as “something”, and consequently will schedule under “something”.  If it’s showing up in a schedule you don’t want it to; then filter it out. No biggie – unless I’m missing your point. What’s “not good”? 

Message 29 of 41
chrisplyler

Message 30 of 41

I am just saying that Plumbing Fixtures is not a good choice for the category of the toilet partitions. The most proper category is Specialty Equipment, but as a single partition, not as enclosure (because of the issue with the section view). 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 31 of 41

@Alfredo_Medina“Plumbing Fixtures” is the Revit Category assigned to Uniformat Classification "C1030110 – Toilet Partitions".  Weird, huh? 

Message 32 of 41

That is very weird. However, notice that the manufacturer that has been mentioned in this thread, Bradley Corporation, classifies the toilet partitions for specs as Division 10. Which is "Specialties". That is the same that you will find in the keynote file in Revit. In these specialties  group you fill find all the other accessories that are used in restrooms. Not the plumbing fixtures themselves, which go under Division 22, Plumbing.

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous

@Sahay_R

Have you solved this problem? If not, I can let our engineers help you to see how to solve the problem.

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Developing toilet partition system is not an easy task. Come on. Any question, we can talk about it.

Message 35 of 41
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Is it some kind of restroom talk?
Message 36 of 41
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

Sounds like Vendor talk. 

Message 37 of 41
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

Sounds like Vendor talk. 

you gweilo don't say

Message 38 of 41
Sahay_R
in reply to: ToanDN

My new workplace has just stripped the Bradley partition family down to individual Specialty Equipment stall families. Assemble them in the project itself. I really don't know which solution is worse......

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 39 of 41
Alfredo_Medina

That is actually better. That's the approach I had suggested above in this thread. Families should provide the elements to be used in a design, not the design itself. 

Speaking of something else... Why is @ToanDN using an avatar that says "BANNED".  What happened?

Message 40 of 41

...he's been messing with his Avatar the last couple of days, @Alfredo_Medina. I've given him sh*t about it too. Ha! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report