Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create glowing buildings

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1446 Views, 12 Replies

Create glowing buildings

I have a site model with components in and I would like to make the components glow in a night time render. I have set their material to self illuminate and played around with all the setting but once I render it in the cloud, the brightness is always overpowering so you cannot see any of the component. I just want a light glow from the components that also lights up the surroundings. Any ideas of achieving this?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dzanta
in reply to: Anonymous

try changing the date, time, azimuth and altitude so the sun is low...

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dzanta

I want it to be pretty much completely dark with just the glow of the building illuminating the other surrounding buildings

Message 4 of 13
L.Maas

Maybe it is an issue with the cloud renderer. There are always some differences between the different renderers. Could be that some functions are not supported well in the coud renderer. Have you tried it locally (with both renderers)?

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

I have noticed that the outcome various when cloud rendering. It renders fine locally but the overall quality is way better in cloud.
Message 6 of 13
loboarch

This problem sounded kind of interresting to me, so I gave it a try.  My model is kind quick and dirty so excuse the roughness. I found pretty much the same issue with render in the cloud.  The light becomes way to intense.  Here are the 3 images I got.  1 is the base model, 2nd is local rendering using the Raytracer engine in Revit, and the 3rd is rendering in the cloud set to "final".  Besides that there are no changes between the renders.

non_render.png

building_lighting.jpg

manchester_downtown.rvt_2015-Oct-22_02-02-59PM-000_{3D}.png

So based on these results I would say the cloud render is doing somethign strange.  Not sure exactly what or how to control?

P.S. The building just to the south of the "glowing" buillding in my model is the Autodesk office in Manchester NH.  the glowing building would be in our parking lot.  Smiley Happy

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

thanks for investigating, dont know if theres anyone to contact for the cloud rendering services or something like that. Guess it is a photoshop job
Message 8 of 13
loboarch

I will send this thread along to the cloud render team to take a look at. I even have a dataset for them to work with and test.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 13
anavaidya

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for posting your images. I have got a sample file from @loboarch which the Rendering team can use to debug the problem. I'll keep you updated. 

For future, you can post rendering questions here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-rendering-general/bd-p/2060

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Customer Success Engineer, Rendering & Visualization
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: anavaidya

any news? I would like to have this problem solved by friday so I can use it in my presentation in uni

Message 11 of 13
anavaidya

Hi @Anonymous,

This may not be fixed immediately. But you can adjust the exposure of the image and see if you get the desired result. Select your image thumbnail in My Renderings and click "Adjust Exposure". Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Customer Success Engineer, Rendering & Visualization
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: anavaidya

Thank you so much! with the correct illuminance setting then adjusting the exposure and midtones once rendered online I got exactly what I wanted.

Message 13 of 13
David_W_Koch

Nice image.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators